Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Team Fortress Classic

Author Topic: Team Fortress Classic
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the deal?

I understand you play a role ... medic, sniper, scout ... how many are there, and ideally, how does a team work together?

What are the objectives -- is it like Counter-Strike, or similar in that regard? Prevent the other team from accomplish a goal?

What are the maps like?

Thank yee!

[ March 10, 2002, 19:07: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, my area of expertiese. [Wink]

Check out this for a general TFC-for-newbies stuff: http://www.planetfortress.com/misanthropy/

Also the Survival Guide heading under http://www.planetfortress.com/tfc/

The manual you get with the download is pretty good as well. I advise reading it.

As for maps... the default maps are OK, but very overplayed. Once you've learned the basics, I'd advise grabbing the map packs from http://coj.spies.com/ (I help run the server), then connecting to coj.spies.com:27016. Tell'em that TOCie sent ya. Oh, and read the MOTD.

Each map can define its own rules. Generally there are five type:
- Standard CTF
- Reverse CTF (take your / their flag *TO* their base rather than out of)
- King of the hill (control a single point)
- Area control (control 3-5 points)
- Sequential area control (variant on area control where areas must be obtained in order)

[ March 10, 2002, 20:06: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
ah, team fortress. i played the original team fortress mod for quake1 for hours and hours and hours. i never really got into team fortress classic, though, probably because i got half life right when counter strike was coming out with the first beta [Big Grin] . if you have played return to castle wolfensteins mulitplayer then you have gotten a (very sweet, imho) taste of what team fotress is like.

--jacob

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone explain to me why they think they can call it "Team Fortress Classic" when I seem to recall playing the Quake version before Half-Life even came out? It's like if Microsoft had called Windows95 "Windows Classic"...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was defined when they started developing Team fortress II (halflife), to separate the two.

Currently I'm shooting germans in snowy woods, in Mohaa (love to say that name), or Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault.
A pity you don't get a dagger or bayonet, it would've been so appropriate. And no blood either, although the smokepuffs from the bodyhits are pretty good.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

it's called team fortress classic because it is a remake of the original team fortress, which was a mod for quake I.

--jacob

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"it's called team fortress classic because it is a remake..."

I'm trying to figure out whether that was sarcasm or not...

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

what do you mean?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, if you meant it seriously, it made no sense whatsoever. But, if you were intentionally saying something contradictory to sarcastically point out that the name is silly, that's okay.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

well, team fortress classic is a remake of the classic team fortress mod for quake I. i don't see how my statement wouldn't have made sense to an english speaker. *shrugs* would it have helped if i had said "the game tries to capture the game play of the orginal, so the 'classic' moniker simply shows that it isn't trying to be a totally new game, but is instead a remake of the classic." ? sorry if that was a bit caustic, but i think i just fucked a final exam a little while ago, so i'm in a pissy mood.

--jacob

[ March 13, 2002, 07:09: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you'd use punctuation and grammatical neatness, it would have made sense to most English speakers.

And I think TSN was commenting on how 'remake != classic' in common thought. If Ford were to release the new Thunderbird with a model like Thunderbird RX Classic. It'd just be silly. Because it's not the classic. It's the new.

Team Fortress Classic = New.
Quake Team Fortress = Old.

Old = Classic.
New != Classic.

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh... they called it Classic because at the time of its initial release they were planning Team Fortress 2 and wished to differentiate it from QTF.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

I'm going by what Valve said in an interview with Dailyradar.com (back when that site still existed), but you can believe whatever you want to. I did use punctuation and grammatical neatness, magnus. You however, did not use correct punctuation or grammatical neatness.

quote:
Team Fortress Classic = New.
Quake Team Fortress = Old.

Old = Classic.
New != Classic.

These are sentence fragments. If you hadn't used the periods, then they would simply have been stated information with a non standard format. However, your use of punctuation makes the fragments legitimate attempts at sentences.

--jacob

[ March 13, 2002, 14:19: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

.... Enough.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

*open*

I just wanted to say that UM said exactly what I was trying to say.

And since "=" and "!=" are equivalent to verbs, his sentences were, in fact, sentences.

*reclose*

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps