Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Team Fortress Classic DEUX! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Team Fortress Classic DEUX!
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm.. I'll post a description of a TFC game tonight.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My site is www.planetfortress.com/complex

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oi, didn't notice the new thread. Yes, I believe TFC...*looks at Raven's "generous" post*..um, yeah.
Basically, I try to get teh rokket launcher and blow everyone to mashed potatoes, then I die a thousand times because standard TFC-deathmatch respawns so damn quick.
It doesn't really give me any sense of accomplishment or goal. Last time I played was about eight months ago. Oh!! I just remembered, I have some turkey pastrami in the fridge. That and a glass of milk will produce one satisfied bedgoer.

Oh, I will start CS:ing again when I get the time and win the game, right now I have guinea pigs storming up my butti from the second I turn off the alarm clock.
It's a good sign, though. Neo-Nim is awaking, and he's pissed and hungry.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Then he rolled a three and a five, and I rolled...ah, I rolled a four and a six!"
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typical TFC game on a pub:

2fort is the map. Any admins that might have been on either leave or go AFK.

Three and a half thousand llamas show up and perform team deathmatch rather than trying to grab the flag. Those that try to whip their team into some sort of shape fail miserably and go back to their home server. Usually a skilled player shows up and kicks ass, but is usually driven out after accusations of cheating. Usually a few cheaters show up and no one notices.

In all seriousness.

It's very difficult to describe the game. It's not group / surgical strike oriented as CS is.

For CTF and variants therof, usually the team splits in roughly half... depending on the division / strength of the opposing team.

One half goes offensive (O), the other stays defensive in the home base (D).

O goes off, sometimes lone wolf, sometimes in teams, to go penetrate the other team's D and grab / cap the flag.

D almost always works as a single unit, focusing in at least one area. Usually this is where engies set up sentries, demomen set pipe traps, etc.

Often the map will end up, at least at one point, with a very lopsided setup, i.e. one team almost all O, the other almost all D to compensate. This gets very boring very quickly. [Smile] Just one or two of those D players going O can quickly demolish the few D players on the other team...

Anyway. I shall now attempt to describe rock2.

Some background first. rock2 is a sequel of sorts to the original rock. It's a prison-like setup. In the original rock, attempting to enter the enemy respawn would teleport you to one of a set of jail cells. In rock2, you just get splatterized. Not quite as fun though... [Smile]

To score, you must:
1) Enter the enemy base via the front door or via a tunnel
2a) If via front door, enter the enemy yard and go to the Warden's Office on the left (WO)
2b) If via the tunnel, enter either the enemy yard (if a hole is blown in it) or via the shower area in the Gas Chamber (GC)
3) Take a key (flag) from the WO, through the yard, into the GC building
4) Cap the flag, thereby relasing a toxic gas. Everyone on the map is given about 10 seconds to find a protective suit (there are 5? in each base) or get in the water seperating the bases.
5) Those unprotected by a suit or the water die. The scoring team gets 15 points.

Carefully planned caps can kill everyone - one team caps, then just as the gas is about to hit, the other team caps. As the protective suits haven't had the chance to respawn, anyone that's out of the water is dead meat... and even then,t hose inside the water won't live long with the whole rest of the server in there with'em. [Wink]

Of course, such events are rare.

rock2 is a very easy map to lock down - set up two sentries in key positions in the yard and keep a demoman at the tunnel w/ a blown yard to keep the tunnel properly sealed. Tada, that's it. Nothing short of a 4+ person coordinated rush can even get in the yard, no less get to the key, out to the GC and to the cap.

Other maps such as the too common 2fort, crossover2, and badlands can also be easily locked down.

This is even more apparent on the servers that I hang out on. We have a rule that prohibits weapon jumping while you have a flag. I.e. you can't rocket / gren / conc / crowbar jump (don't ask) while you are carrying a flag / key / rune / whatever.

One of the custom maps that we ended up pulling from voting / rotation was capable of being locked down by one sentry gun, its engy, and a medic.

Of course, there are also maps that are nearly impossible to lock down. Take wrath..

Wrath is a beautiful map. The textures are pretty good and the design is awe inspiring, esp. considering the engine...

The theme is deceptively simple. One team is D, the other O. The D team has to guard three "relics" (flags) from the other team's hands. Once the O team has a relic, it needs to be taken to one of three cap points. Once all three relics are in place, all the players on the D team die (Tee-hee) and are then sent O to get their relics back.

Wrath is impossible to lock down for more than a few minutes. 3+ sentries and a pair of fatties... er.. HWGuys won't cut it. There are too many entrances and exits to every area. And as it's generally an enclosed space, a few MIRVs can clear things out pretty easily.

Anyway... The only way to experience the game is to spec it or play it.

Go grab TFC, connect to a few pubs.. learn how to walk, shoot, etc.

Then go server hunting. Find a few that offer teamplay. Good luck. Look for "TPF" in the name somewhere, they're often decent.

Avoid any servers by [BD], esp Avatar-X. [Wink]

And if you feel brave, grab a few custom maps and connect to CoJ...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps