Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » ZANG! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ZANG!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
China prepares to launch manned mission.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/shenzhou_launch_020325.html

The US needs to get itself into gear again... or else we might wake up to find that Mars is Red. *pun*

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that NASA needs to get its shit together. I have heard that after China becomes the third nation capable of launching manned missions, China will be going for the title of being the 2nd nation ever to have landed a Human on the moon.

Who knows? If they do, it might spark another space race. [Smile]

[ March 25, 2002, 19:45: Message edited by: Flower Man ]

IP: Logged
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shenzhou 3 is comprised of several elements: .... and an "additional module", according to reports.
Maybe it's the Chinese Goldeneye. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Flower Man
Ex-Member

ahhhhh. Hide in your bunkers!!!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the US would do if the Chinese went up there to the Sea of Tranquility, knocked over our flag, and put their own up...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I woke up tomorrow and China had landed men on the moon, might anyone tell me how my life would be different/better/worse?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That WOULD be an interesting scenario...

You know, I don't think China ever signed the treaty disallowing claims of ownership of celestial bodies. They could CLAIM the moon.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And who'd recognize the claim? The Klingons?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would throw a monkeywrench into the political scene.

Anyway, Tom, your life would change not one whit. Not immediately, anyway. If the Chinese could come up with a way to profit from the Moon, then we might see something fun.

Flower Man
Ex-Member

That treaty is going to be flushed down the toilet sooner or later anyways. As the population rises, and our natural resources dwindle down to nothing, we're going to have to begin mining operations on the moon and on the other planets of the solar system. This cannot be possible if it is illegal to stake claims on parts of other celestial bodies. The same can be said for Antarctica in all honesy. You cannot tell me that that entire continent doesn't have any deposites of useful minerals or metals.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Mining the moon won't be economical until mining the Earth becomes bazillions of times more expensive than it is now. That'll only happen when we start to see wholesale resource scarcity. And considering that there's no shortage of whatever the moon's got on the Earth, I wouldn't get your hopes up for seeing a need to extract minerals from the moon in your lifetime.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not entirely true, I think, Tom. Mining on the Moon becomes far more economical than mining on Earth when you change the ultimate destination of the materials. Which is to say its much cheaper to send 100 kg of ore to Earth orbit from the Moon than it is from Earth.

Of course, that too is dependant upon there being some industry in space that needs those materials. So, we'll see.

Flower Man
Ex-Member

I never said that it would happen within my lifetime. I'm just saying that when it does happen, that treaty will be flushed down the toilet.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
"The United States Ambassador to the Moon today reported...."

--------------------
Meh

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm pleased that space travel has finally become a somewhat international feat, rather than a purely amero-centric one, as it has been for the past hundred million years. Except for Marc Garneau. And the CanadArm.

I hate Garneau. And Bondar. The Americans have like Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck as their Astronauts, not to mention John Glenn. I wonder if Garneau spilled nutmeg in the controls.

"Aw, jeez, eh. Hooston. It looks like we got a problem aboot the controls, unh."

And, if China can do the things that the USA does not, because the USA spends money on Shaquille O'Neal's basketballing and Britney Spears' Breast Augmentation, instead of paying the NASA men lots of the money, I say China == THE FUTURE.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps