Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Am I being too optimistic? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Am I being too optimistic?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who spells honor with a u? Silly Canadians.

[Smile]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to ask First of Two if I could borrow his Deer Contingent to overrun Baltimore. Slash and Burn operation. Leave nothing behind. [Smile]

[ April 05, 2002, 09:21: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds very good, Tahna. Er... your email reply, not the slash and burning of Jeff's homeland. I say send it.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, Baltimore isn't my homeland. I was born and raised in Adelphi, which is squeezed between College Park and DC, then moved when I was 13 to Columbia, and moved to the Baltimore area a few months before my 21st birthday.

Bring on your Deer, Tahna. I have a Jeep. And a gift-certificate for gas [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nixpicker. [Roll Eyes]
Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gift Certificate for Gas? Oh the Horror, oh the Humanity.

I've just sent the message. Wish me luck.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Saltah'na
Member # 33

This is what I got.

Hi Eric,

We’re working on the legal groundwork for this project right now, and probably won’t have anything ready for another week or two.

Thanks,

Duff

*shrug* Well, at least there is some truth to this. I've heard that companies that hire workers abroad have to go through quite a bit of legal work to ensure everything is kosher.

I'll still be looking at the want ads though, just in case.

--------------------

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that you got a reply is a good sign. My experience is that if they don't want you they simply don't reply.

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Getting a reply is a very good sign. So, it doesn't look like they're yanking you around. Hiring someone from outside the United States does require a good amount of legal work for both the company and the employee.

So, stay optimistic. [Smile]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

E-mail Correspondence has somewhat increased in the last few days even though I have not received the package.

It appears that the company is actually in Ocala, Florida, about a 45 minute drive northwest of Orlando. The St. Cloud location was only mentioned because the contact I was speaking to is currently working at his home in St. Cloud.

Part of the reason he hasn't contacted me before is that his computer suffered a HD crash, and it took him a while to get things back to normal. But it appears everything is bona-fide at the moment, and I should be receiving the package. I'm getting a little giddy about it. It may be piecework compensation, but it is the best opportunity available, given the Tech meltdown.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] !!!!!

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Absolutely fantastic!
Saltah'na
Member # 33

It has been more than a month now since I updated anything about this still-potential job.

From recent phone conversations (yes, I actually spoke to someone at this company), I have received verbal snippets of a project currently in progress.

They have also mentioned that they are a small company, and they currently have several large projects (including the one they want me to take part in) on the table. As such, work involving recruiting new developers is at a slow crawl while they try to clear their plate of all projects requiring expedience.

I have made several phone calls down there to check for progress. This is the recent one:

Hello Eric

I appreciate your patience lately as we have been very busy with the release of our new *CLASSIFIED PROJECT HERE*, and we are still working on the contract that we will be offering you as soon as it is ready. I have several projects that I am anxious to give you details about but we have to make sure all of the legal groundwork is complete so that we are all protected. We should be able to share this information with you by the end of next week.

I am looking forward to introducing you to the people who are part of this fast-growing organization, and also look forward to putting some money in your pockets.

Thanks

Xxxx XxXxxx

Still waiting. Patiently.

The trouble is, the anticipation is eating me alive. I haven't done much job searching in the weeks since. It's easy to have too much optimism for this position even when the industry you're applying has taken a beating over the last year.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is. Always try to have more than one option available to you... and don't put all your eggs in a single basket.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps