Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Pentium3 - 9/2000 - 4/2002 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pentium3 - 9/2000 - 4/2002
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you need one of these too.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is why I always back up my computer with either zip files or with my new Iomega Peerless drive. With all the files I keep (and recently lost due to an earthquake) and download I need to keep them in something more durable and shock resistant to falling debris.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really must get round to installing my Zip drive.

Last place I worked, we were looking at a failure rate of about 10% over three years. Not sure whether that's good or not; but our pile of duff HDs grew so large I packed them all up in a box and couriered them to Hewlett Packard UK's head office with a nasty letter. Didn't get a reply. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...I think I got some kind of virus or something when my daughter downloaded KAZAA."

One could, of course, make the arguement that KaZaA itself is a virus, but the idea that it was used to d/l one, or that it d/l'ed one itself, is not out of the realm of possibility...

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm . . .

I'm having a problem with my printer. It's a HP Deskjet 690C and I've had it for about 3 - 3.5 years. It was working fine a week or two ago but now it keeps saying that my ink cartridges are incorrectly installed and keeps screwing up. I've taken the cartridges out, cleaned the contacts on them and in the printer, cleared all the ink, dirt, dust etc from where I can get access but still it doesn't like me.

Anyone know what's up with it. My parents have an older HP printer that's close to death at 10 years old, but it still works . . .

[Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the loss, CC. I had a HD go about 2 weeks back. Fortunately the drives are getting so cheap now, that I had recently upgraded and had backups, but it still sucked ass.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, sorry to hear about your trouble too CC, guess it's kinda pot luck as to what you get. Hope the data loss ain't too extreme for ya and you get back on track soon.

Just remembered the reason for my recent upgrade - the motherboard died on me. [Frown] (It was about 3 years old, and a real crappy thing [Wink] ).

Motherboards, HDDs, printers, monitors, ram, cd-roms, DVDs, floppies . . . anyone else lost in this world of ever evolving technology.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ April 06, 2002, 14:31: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget those of us with spontaneously shattering PDA screens...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine has a pooched HD, too. And his computer is only a few months old... half a year at most. He was trying to copy a CD for his sister and everything went to hell. His drive went from a 20 GB to a 2 GB, inexplicably.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it won't help get the data back, most hard drives carry a 3 year manufacturer warranty. I know IBM does here.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel really sorry for all you guys. My computer is almost 4 years old (yeah, you read correctly), and I haven't had any major problems on it. Plus my printer is probably near ten years old and also no problems. The only problems I've had are the standard Windows crashes, a cd-rom drive that no longer opened 'cause I never let it fully open before closing it, and a cd burner that no longer burned 'cause it was a refurbished drive and was probably fucked up anyway, and one last cd-rom drive that longer reads 'cause the lens probably was moving back and forth too much. But like I said no major problems.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah... the wonders of RAID [Smile]

Nothing beats a 2 * 120GB drive redundancy.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine has a pooched HD, too. And his computer is only a few months old... half a year at most. He was trying to copy a CD for his sister and everything went to hell. His drive went from a 20 GB to a 2 GB, inexplicably.

If that's a measure of his available space, tell him to check his Windows/Temp directory. I just fried it and freed up half my hard drive. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Don't forget those of us with spontaneously shattering PDA screens...

Oh yes, we mustn't forget such people - it would be a crime. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Oh yeah, found out last night, with my Dad's help (he's kewl), that my printer is just shot & has gone kaput! [Frown] So I went to PC World and got a brand new HP Deskjet 940C - HOT DAMN IT'S FAST!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] Not to mention quiet and excellent printing quality.

I also took the liberty of getting an upgrade to Norton SystemsWorks 2002 and also purchased Norton Personal Firewall too (the family is thinking of getting into Internet banking & shopping, so we're going halves on the price - not bad at �19.99).

All in all, not a bad day. Then I remembered that I'm going back to university tomorrow.

Oh well . . .

--------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 2-yr-old PC is working okay except the Internet connection died on me. We used to have a Cannon printer that lasted a two, three trying years before it went kaput. Now I use a Lexmark, which is 3-4 years old and still going strong. Never had much problems with it either, a blessing for anyone who writes papers.

[ April 07, 2002, 12:59: Message edited by: Tora Ziyal ]

--------------------
life creation in progress

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps