Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Difficult we do right away....

Author Topic: The Difficult we do right away....
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...the impossible takes a little bit longer.

BBC NEWS - Warp Drive

I wouldn't mind a squint at that guys paper when it's published; assuming someone translates it from the Dutch.

------------------
"In the name of the LORD! We DEMAND entrance to this Sacred CASTLE!!!!"
"No chance, Engleesh bed-wetting types. I brush my temples at you and call your door-opening request a silly thing. You tiny-brained wipers of other-people's bottoms."

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope it works, in my life time.

------------------
ALL GOOD THINGS

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too hope that this occurs in my lifetime. Another idea - they are looking at the warp bubble theory, but what of the Solaton wave idea in some TNG ep whose name escapes me at present. It failed in the episode, but it is no less realistic than the warp bubble. It would be a good idea to look at both of them.

------------------
The public has spoken. Common sense has prevailed. We have been returned what was wrongly taken away from us. All hail COCO POPS!!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good. Melikes!

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they say it's not likely to happen soon. However, didn't Alcubierre just come up w/ his theory about five years ago, and they thought it impossible? If they make another breakthrough in another five years, it may be less improbable than they even think now...

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

People will abuse this technology and awful things will ensue. Giving humans ever greater powers results in ever smaller chances we will survive for much longer.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*encases RW in a warp bubble and speeds him on his way to Wolf 359*

Say hello to the Borg for us, party pooper.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

You are the nicest of the damned!

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And right after I hit the "submit" button, I remembered this site. It isn't as current as the BBC news thingie, but what the heck.

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's certainly interesting. But I'm not quite sure what they're suggesting. Yes, spacetime can be warped. That's what gravity is. But you need a whole heck of a lot of it to really do anything. Perhaps I need to further research the topic.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I should mention that a few researchers are claiming to have achieved a small level of "gravity modification." If true, that would call for a drastic restructuring of our current understanding of gravity and its relationship to the universe. Now that might lead the way to traveling faster than light.

------------------
--
Soul Coughing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW: Uh... Even if they invented a warp drive today, I think people would have a hard time abusing it. I mean, who's going to be able to get ahold of it? Is someone going to build a warp ship in their basement? We currently have the technology to put people in space. People don't abuse that, because they can't do it on their own. I would think the same would be true of warp drive.

------------------
"I ran into Charlie Fogg.
He blacked my eye, and he kicked my dog.
My dog turned to me, and he said,
'Let's head back to Tennessee, Jed.'"
-The Grateful Dead, "Tennessee Jed"

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Los Angeles to Sydney in 5 minutes, anyone?

------------------
"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Monty, what are you doing online right now? Shouldn't you be asleep or studying or something?

------------------
--
Soul Coughing

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Solaton wave makes NO sense to me. You get fired into warp at one end by a machine, and a machine at your destination slows you down.

Okay, we get fired to Alpha Centuri. Now, we get there. We wait for the machine to dissapate the wave. We slam into the sun.

Can you see the problem here?

Besides, why is it as viable as warp? They are both things thought up by TV writers. The version of warp-speed being dreamt up by scientists who wear awful cardigans is no doubt quite a bit different from the sketchy version of Okuda and Sternbach's.

------------------
'There's no meat in beer, right?'
-Joey Tribiani

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps