Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Help. Please. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help. Please.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Charles, if it turns out a stick of memory is bad ... do I replace ALL of my memory?

Sorry, guys, but when it comes to a computer I'm fairly clueless in anything but the basics [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you replace all your memory... are you still you?

quote:
"...I'm fairly clueless..."
OOH! I'm going to use this as an out-of-context quote for my next sig!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ April 30, 2002, 13:40: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which really is quite too long at the moment.

If one stick of memory is bad, you just need to replace that one stick. Of course, if you only HAVE one stick of memory... [Wink]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, that's fine, I'll find some out of context quote you said and use it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was getting tired of it anyway. I think I'll use this old quote from my gaming days.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, shouldn't he try reinstalling Windows ON TOP of his current version before he tries a blank reinstall?

Reinstalling it on top with keep all your shortcuts, registry thingies, and everything. It's also less likely to solve the problem, but you really haven't got anything to lose.

Oh, and if you are using "Recovery Disks", make sure they don't format the hard drive or do something crazy first.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, and if you are using "Recovery Disks", make sure they don't format the hard drive or do something crazy first.[/QB]
But formatting is FUN.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ok, if I can't use my recovery disks, how would I re-install Windows?!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used the recovery disks for a Gateway, HP, and IBM. All of them have first loaded a menu that has the options of diagnostics, restore to factory settings, or reinstall software.

Restore to factory settings is a complete reformat and reinstallation of all software that was originally on the system when you purchased it. Reinstall software lets you select what software you want to reinstall without reformatting. This is the setting that you'd use for reinstalling Windows.

This, of course, assumes that the recovery disks you have don't have a simpler menu (one with an option that says reinstall Windows). But I've yet to use any recovery disks that automatically launched a reformat without prompting the user for confirmation of erasing everything on the disk first.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a Windows CD (ie, one that says Windows 98 on it), then you can reinstall over the top of your current installation by booting up with a boot disk, and then typing:

D:\ (or whatever your CD drive is)
setup.exe

That should do it. I think. Oh, I've forgotten how to make a Windows 98 DOS boot disk. Anyone?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Startup Disk Tab
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't you just go to the Run line and type "format a: /s"?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

But you'd still need to manually copy Microsofts' generic CD-ROM drivers to the disk, AND modify the config.sys / autoexec.bat files yourself.

Unless, of course, you have a system that can boot from CD, in which case you don't have to bother with all this nonsense.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming that the CD is bootable.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they haven't not been since 1997. So, ludditism is not an excuse.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps