Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Internet Fees

Author Topic: Internet Fees
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, there is a bill on the US Senate right now that will charge a few for every email you send.

They are doing this because the Postal Service says it's loosing 32 million a yr. in postage. It has bipartisan support!

CALL YOUR SENATOR!

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Urban legend

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We backward countries still don't get free local calls. So every second on the net racks up the pennies. ARGH!

------------------
"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

We hid the phone bill for our mother once.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No... this is real!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlikely.

This isn't from the same people who sent you the "NASA" email, by any chance?

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*points at Sol* What he said.

And the US Postal Service is not funded in any way by the US Government. Why do you think stamp rates keep going up? *LOL*

Back to the topic at hand.... Sorta... *grin@free local calls*

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.snopes.com/spoons/faxlore/internet.htm

Urban legend:

• appears mysteriously and spreads spontaneously in varying forms.

• contains elements of humor or horror (the horror often "punishes" someone who flouts society's conventions).

• makes good storytelling.

• does NOT have to be false, although most are.
    ULs often have a basis in fact, but it's their life after-the-fact (particularly in reference to the second and third points) that gives them particular interest."

There. Does that help?

CC: Free local calls? Let's not upset the others with inflammitory speech, shall we?

-->Smirk<--

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am horrified at the continued opression of local calls! They must be liberated!

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Let's get those missiles ready to destroy the universe!" - TMBG

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Free local calls? Or do you mean fixed rates?

------------------
"Oh Lucifer!
Oh! Laisse-moi rien qu'une fois
Glisser mes doigts dans les cheveux d'Esmeralda"
--"Belle", Notre Dame de Paris

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you wicked nonAmericans have forced the truth out of me:

Possibly the best-kept secret in the U.S. is the existence of nationality-detectors in each and every phone. These detectors immediately recognize when an American is holding the phone.

The main telephone system computer (buried 3 miles under Cheyenne mountain) immediately switches off the billing for any call within a 10-mile radius (more, sometimes MUCH more for government officials). If a foreighner chances to pick up a phone anywhere in America, the call is routed by the most complex means imaginable, resulting in phone bills which are incredibly difficult to decipher.

Contrary to popular belief, the breakup of the monopoly of ATT in the United States was a carefully-crafted fiction. In actuality, The Phone Company is a branch of the CIA's vast intelligence-gathering apparatus.

All calls are scanned for conversational threads which may prove of interest to the CIA. They are kept in an archive deep beneath the ground at an abandoned nuclear test site, the specific location of which I never had the clearance to know.

you see: It pays to become a naturalized citizen.

I shall now calmly wait for the phone police to carry me away. It was nice knowing you all.

This forum will self-destruct in 15 seconds.

------------------
"The President's Analyst" was a documentary.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on June 11, 1999.]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under Cheyenne Mountain? Isn't that where the Stargate is? :-)

------------------
*needs a new sig, but hasn't run across anything good*

This is a temporary non-sig. Please ignore it. That is all.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorta, Ziyal... Flat rate ($20 monthly, I think) for unlimited local calls. Gotta love it.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup...of course...if you go to college and live in a dorm hooked up to the campus LAN, you get completely free access 24-7, with a higher speed than even a cable modem, on average. hehe. gotta luv it. can't wait to go back *L*

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

TSN: Yep! You wouldn't believe how crowded it is down there. In addition to Stargate and TPC's main computer, they also have all the UFOs that crashed on earth within the last 50 years, their occupants, and in some cases, the descendants of the occupants. If it wasn't beyond Top Secret,it would be the world's greatest tourist attraction.

--Baloo

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps