Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » IE problems... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: IE problems...
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am now suffering from my second Internet Explorer problem in about 2 weeks. The first problem I thankfully cured on my own (it was something to do with Microsoft Voice Recognition software).

This new problem cropped up last night. Out of the blue I get a warning message saying my computer is out of virtual memory and it was adding more to compensate. When I click OK, the only noticeable difference to my computer is the fact that AIM stops making noise. Only soon after I was in Internet Explorer trying to go to another webpage, and I open the Favorties pull-down menu, and I get quite a surprise. All my websites are gone as well as he subfolders I had in the favorites area. In their place I find a long list of folders and other useless files. After a bit of searching, I find that my Favorites now seems to be looking at C:\Windows, and displaying all it's contents.

So I reboot my computer, and AIM is now working again with sound, but I check Internet Exploer, and the favorites is still wrong. I check through my computer and the Favorties folder is still on my harddrive, with all my websites and stuff, but the actual Favorites menu in Internet Explorer still goes to C:\Windows.

When I open the actual Favorites tab, so that the small window opens up on the left of Internet Explorer, then I notice another problem. The computer seems to start refreshing every 3 seconds, even after I close this window. My mouse goes from the normal pointer to the waiting pointer every 3 seconds. I check my Task Manager and my CPU usage is jumping from around 5% to 15% up to %70 to 80% every few seconds, and I can literally hear my computer speeding up and slowing down. This only stops if I totally close Internet Explorer.

I have tried to delete the contents of the Favorites window, but if I do it actually deletes the contents of C:\Windows, except that the files mysteriously come back, because the computer is refreshing every few seconds.

So basically, how do I get Internet Explorer to go back to the proper folder for my favorites?

(Just for reference I'm using WinXP Home Edition)

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egads. That's quite messed up. Me, I have no clue.

Thankfully I'm running XP Pro. *phew* [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Microsoft tried to create their own web browser, in effect problems...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank goodness for Mac OS X and OmniWeb 4! [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bitching about Microsoft wont fix my problems...

Internet Explorer is now crashing since I first made this post. Everytime I switch between another window and this, it freezes up and sometimes it will actually show what should be in the Internet Explorer window...after waiting nearly a minute.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What programs are you running now or have ran recently. Also check what programs and other files Windows automatically opens up and runs when you boot up. I think it's some culprit piece of software that screwed everything up and not Windows or IE itself.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

The IE crashes have stopped again. Apparently Microsoft Voice Recognition software strikes again (it was accidentally left on in Excel and was doing bad voodoo to IE).

So now I'm back to my Favorites being wrong.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guns! They've stopped!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The guns! They've stopped!

..Star Wars 4???....Gold Squadron trench run???

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't you just call it "Star Wars"? At least you're not calling it "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope: The Special Edition" like some people.

But, still. "Star Wars" is always going to be Star Wars. You don't call ESB or ROTJ "Star Wars" ... you call 'em Empire or Jedi.

Anyway.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, Here, Snay, I have this argument with my daughter, I keep telling her that when I went to the show it was Star Wars, period. No bloody 4, no bloody New Hope.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, Here, Snay, I have this argument with my daughter, I keep telling her that when I went to the show it was Star Wars, period. No bloody 4, no bloody New Hope.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn straight. I've got good mind to go whack people who say otherwise. Especially those who go "Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope: Special Edition."

Grrrr.

Er, sorry Mim [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just call it SWE4ANHSE.

Hey, saves space on my VCR tape-labels...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: We'll have to remember this the next time you make any reference to TOS and don't call it merely "Star Trek".
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps