Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ok my life doesn't suck (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ok my life doesn't suck
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I figured out how much money I will make for College in the US Navy. I did as a 2 page report for Guidance (the department that is in charge of student's records and grades). Sorry if this sounds like bragging.

When I first go in I will be a E-2 meaning that after my DEP training I will be promoted to E-2 before I even go into boot camp. Most people start at E-1. Now for four years I will be payed according to my rank which if I was E-2 it would $1,200 a month, to the time I get otu which is about E-4 or E-5 which is about $1,600 to $1,800 a month. Now in the Navy everything is beig payed for, even when I am on shore I will get a government issued car and apartment to stay in. the only thing I pay for is the extra fun (drinking, trips, etc). Now in the end I will get around $80,000 give or take a thousand. This alone is enough for about 4 years of college.

Now from what I am told during the six months I am on shore out of the twelve in a year, I can take free college courses. Thes ecollege courses will last about a month to two months. Now assuming that I take about four classes for each six months, that is sixteen classes total, I took which in alot of colleges is about 2 years worth of College. I haven;t even talked about by $40,000 signing scholarship that I recieved when I signed on to do the Navy. Now if lets say I did eliminate two years of a four year college, that means that the $15,000 to $20,000 a year college fee could be covered by my Navy scholarship. Now this does not include any special scholarship I could get from being in the Navy (some offer it) and the "Good Grades" scholarship (don't know the name, but it's the one if you do excellent, the college could pay for the next year). So if all goes well, I could when I get out, have $80,000+ to play around with.

The rest of the essay is about my past experiences in school and my hope for the future.

It's cool, huh?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're just on an emotional rollercoaster aren't you.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Navy allocates money specificly to pay for college, and you don't use it to pay for college, isn't that fraud?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the extra $80,000 is actually the money I made while being in there, like a job. If I don't spend all $40,000 on college it's not just used and given to someone else. The $40,000 is actually part of what's called a Mongomery (spl) Bill, that a little part of my money in the first 12 months which is about $1,200 total, plus with taxpayers money to combine in a single fund that would provide a something so that more people can join up. So if $40,000 doesn't get used up by the end of eight years, it's withdrawn into the Fund and given to someone else.

Actually this most excitment I have had in years. I am not saying my life is boring, it's just nothing exciting really comes up where I live. The most excitment Ewing has, was for a time being known as the Anthrax capital of the world for a time. In fact the FBI broke into a house about a few blocks away from where I live.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're not going to spend any money at ALL when you're in the Navy? Lucky you.

It's the Montgomery Bill, BTW.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

The big question is how much do I really need to spend on a ship or when I am on land? Do I really need to spend $1,000 to $10,000 or more?

I really can't imagine anything even iif it is culmative that would add up to $10,000 or more, while I am in the Navy. Also whatever I spend, I will get back in interest alone. The plan is a 5% interest per six months in CDs. Which is really good.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay away from Cookie's friday night dice game on the poop deck, and you should be fine.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's in it for the money.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could take basic economics at the Navy-College Institute. But they probably only have classes like 'Cool 101' and how to be Top Gun.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matrix, take advantage of the CLEP testing and various corraspondance(sp) courses and classes also.... The Navy has to have something along the lines of the Army Community College, which is accredited.... Get the basic classes out of the way, so when you do hit a campus you can start with the important classes.

Plus you will get credits for things like PE while you serve, I got out of the Army with several credits.... Navigation, Phys. Ed., auto mechanics, and a few others.... It is sad really....

As soon as you can start looking in to this, hell, you may develope in to....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cruisenomics.. and Sheenography

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, it was the beginning of a stupid jab.... it was really sad....

Just don't come back with an ego that the FAA requires a registration for...

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

My plan was to take all the basic classes I can get since they're free. Ritten sounds like that he knows what he's talking about. I have been told to take every single class they can give me, regardless if it is stupid or not.

I was not in it for the money originally. First I wanted to be an officer, but I wish to be around my family the whole time. Then I decided to enlist so they can pay for college. Later along the line, I learned that they pay similar to a real job and give out scholarships. I never really looked into how much money or what I could do to help myself out in college until last week or so. This suprised me, that's why I posted it here.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

When I served on Active Duty and in the National Guard I took several dozen tests and all kinds of classes, most of which were focused on my job, which was to kill people, so in the real world they ment little.... I got out before finishing the Air Navigation Course, which was the second step in the piloting program to get a civilian pilot's license.... Basic Aerodynamics was the first, which was boring, since I had learned most of the crap in C.A.P. before I went in to the Army....

What is your speciality again???

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Aviation Structural Mechanic. I will be working on everythign except ordance.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps