Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Truth or fiction?

Author Topic: Truth or fiction?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister sent me this. The local library is closed, so I thought it would be fun to see if we (collectively) could confirm or debunk the following anecdote (sent to me by my sister).

I myself have not attempted to look this one up yet. Let's see how well we do, shall we? (I will not look myself, yet, as it is I who threw down the gauntlet in the first place.)

A little bit of history . . .

His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day while trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog.

There, mired to his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow and terrifying death.

The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's sparse surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved. "I want to repay you," said the nobleman. "You saved my son."

"No, I can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer said, waving off the offer. At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door of the family hovel. "Is that your son?" the nobleman asked.

"Yes" the farmer replied proudly.

"I'll make you a deal. Let me take him and give him a good education. If the lad is anything like his father, he'll grow to a man you can be proud of."

And that he did. In time, Farmer Fleming's son graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of penicillin.

Years afterward, the nobleman's son was stricken with pneumonia. What saved him? Penicillin.

The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill. His son's name? Sir Winston Churchill.

The clock is ticking.

(Remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition. No betting please!)

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a Paul Harvey story....

"And now you know...the rest of the story..."

------------------
"We are all a product of the environment we live in.... the rest, good or bad, may be free will." Charles C. Bohnam

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to raise the caca de torro flag on this one.

------------------
"Minsk."

Cmdr Worf

Feste
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true. Only it was Ian Fleming. Years afterward, the nobleman's son was stricken with pneumonia, God's own hangover and forbidden alcohol and cigars. What saved him from going out of his mind with boredom? Bond, James Bond.

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

IP: Logged
RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Xually it's caca de toro, not torro :]

BTW these lttle stories ae awful, I expect to see one implying Napoleon and the duke of Wellington were school mates in the near future.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Torro", "toro"... Either way, it's all BS. :-)

Uh... I don't mean the story. I have no idea about that...

------------------
"Have plenty of minions."
-Darth Vader parody of the "Sunscreen Song"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps