Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Everyone's CD collection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Everyone's CD collection
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, if I'm even starting up a topic like this, I must be really bored. So I'd like to know about everyone's disc collection...as in the number you've got and what artists. And maybe what's coming.

Me: I'm up around 230 discs or so, about half are cd-rs and U2 bootlegs. Also quite a few are actually 2-cd sets. I've got mostly U2 (the bootlegs and cd-rs), but I've also got a smattering of other artists, like Jewel, Collective Soul, Belinda Carlisle...well I won't name them all. I was briefly into Civil War era music (still am, a little), so I've got a few discs of that. I've also got around 22 cd-rs of just random songs that I like either from downloaded mp3s or just individual tracks from my and my brother's regular albums. Oh, yeah, a few soundtracks as well. The only thing I've got coming right now is a U2 single.

So there you have it. What about you? I hope I'm not the only nut.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
240 to 250 CDs. 260 to 300 tapes.

If you want, I really CAN list them all out for you...but it'll take a while, so I'll wait for tomorrow.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reason I'm typing all this, is because it's almost 2:30a.m., and I ought to be in bed, but sleep isn't coming yet. So, no, I'm not all that interested in listing all my CDs, but I'm doing it anyway, because I've nothing better to do.

3 Doors Down - The Better Life
A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
The Beatles - The Beatles ["The White Album"]
The Beatles - Past Masters, Volume Two
The Beatles - 1962-1966
The Beatles - 1967-1970
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dido - No Angel
The Doors - The Best of the Doors
The Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
The Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
Incubus - Make Yourself
Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Kraftwerk - The Mix
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin - Early Days - The Best of Led Zeppelin, Volume One
Led Zeppelin - Latter Days - The Best of Led Zeppelin, Volume Two
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears
Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis
Pearl Jam - Ten
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There?
Radiohead - Pablo Honey
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Rage against the Machine - Rage against the Machine
Rage against the Machine - Evil Empire
Rage against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
Rage against the Machine - Renegades
Red Hot Chile Peppers - Californication
Rush - Retrospective 1974-1980
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Staind - Break the Cycle
Stone Temple Pilots - No. 4
Supertramp - Supertramp
Supertramp - Classics, Volume 9
System of a Down - System of a Down
System of a Down - Toxicity
They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants ["The Pink Album"]
They Might Be Giants - Lincoln
They Might Be Giants - Flood
They Might Be Giants - Miscellaneous T
They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18
They Might Be Giants - Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incadescent Gas)
They Might Be Giants - John Henry
They Might Be Giants - Factory Showroom
They Might Be Giants - Severe Tire Damage
They Might Be Giants - Mink Car
Tool - Opiate
Tool - Undertow
Tool - Ænima
Tool - Lateralus
The Urge - Too Much Stereo

There. That's what you get for asking such a question...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's telling.

Because I can hear the gnashing of teeth of a certain respected friend of ours half a world away, what if, instead of simply listing albums, we select a few we feel are representative or meaningful in some way and share, if we can, just why we feel so. I can't really do that without listening to them, and I've got nothing ready to play at the moment, so I'll wait, but for an example: I think I'm going to talk briefly about the albums In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel, which is possibly the best single collection of music I have ever heard, and Cee-lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections, by Cee-lo, as you might notice, and which bucks the trend of the albums I buy being narrowly defined "indie rock" fests, and which is instead an expansive and mindblowing hip hop album, and which you can dance to.

Or possibly something else.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My tastes run too eclectic for me to give an honest sampling that's representative of the whole. But right now, I'm listening to these in Sonic Mix, set on shuffle:

Four Tet: Pause
DMX: Flesh of my Flesh
Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile
Flamenco Guitar, Nardia Collection
Willie and Lobo
Joe Satriani: Surfing with the Alien
The Best of U2
Moby: Play and 18
and fourteen different movie soundtracks, including the original Dracula, which has one of the best scores in movie history.

Altogether I think I have about a hundred legit discs. I was a Napster bitch, too, and thanks to that illegal service (and it's peers) I probably have twice that amount in burnt discs.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really starting to like certain World music, especially Japanese traditional drum groups and "westernized" arab musics.

Anybody groove on stuff like that, or am I going to far in my search for new things?

It's a tricky game when you venture from the mainstream music scene. You may love it, or absolutely hate it. Being as such, it makes the typical consumer wary of spending fifteen dollars on something with such "risk" involved. (it's the only reason I think Napster and the like were sometimes a benefit to the music world...I would have never heard things like Eyeless in Gaza or even a lot of old Johnny Cash if not for peer to peer file sharing...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Because I can hear the gnashing of teeth of a certain respected friend of ours half a world away
I'm trying to stop, at my dentist's advice.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have as many as I wish I had, so they're easy to list:

The Chemical Brothers - Come With Us
The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
The Chemical Brothers - Brother's Gonna Work It Out
The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
The Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust
Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong (Live Recordings)
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Crystal Method - Tweekend
The Crystal Method - Vegas
Paul Oakenfold - Swordfish: The Album
Daft Punk - Discovery
Daft Punk - Homework
Fatboy Slim - Halfway Between The Gutter And Stars
The Fatboy Slim/Norman Cook Collection
Fatboy Slim - You've Come A Long Way, Baby
Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry
Underworld - Everything, Everything (Underworld Live)
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Moby - Play
Moby - Songs 1993 - 1998
Propellerheads - Decksandrumsandrockandroll
Freestylers - We Rock Hard
Lo Fidelity All-Stars - How To Operate With A Blown Mind
Trainspotting Soundtrack
Cirrus - Back On A Mission
Fluke - Risotto
U2 - The Best of 1980 - 1990/The B-Sides
U2 - Pop
Tomorrow Never Dies Soundtrack
The Verve - Urban Hymns
Oasis - Be Here Now
Oasis - What's The Story (Morning Glory)?
The Beatles Anthology 1
The Beatles Anthology 2
Robbie Williams - The Ego Has Landed
Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine
Busta Rhymes - Extinction Level Event
Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
Dave Matthews Band - Under The Table And Dreaming
Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow

And pretty much everything else below that on the CD case is crap...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around 50 or so, mostly anime soundtracks. Mostly Evangelion soundtracks.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...and which you can dance to.

"Or possibly something else."

Wow. Naughty...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had intended to mean that I might talk about a different album altogether, but you are quite perceptive; it does contain several odes (or perhaps commandments) to getting it on.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know, I might sit down tomorrow and list my collection, I've never done it so it might be interesting. . . 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it won't be.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Newsboys, "Shine: The Hits"
Trans-Siberian Orchestra, "Christmas Eve"
Michael W. Smith, "Freedom"
"Babylon 5: Sleeping in Light"

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a tiny CD collection. For someone who likes music so much, it certainly doesn't show.

Johann de Meij's Symphony No. 1: "The Lord of the Rings" by the US Air Force Band. Includes some works by Percy Granger and others that is clearly just filler.

The soundtracks for Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection, and Mr. Holland's Opus.

In the current rockish type music stuff, there is Celine Dion's The Colour of My Love, Meatloaf's Back Out of Hell 2: Back into Hell, and Billy Joel's The River of Dreams.

The World's Greatest Overtures featuring Die Fledermaus, Poet & Peasant, Academic Festival, Egmont, Flying Dutchman, and 1812.

Copland featuring Aaron Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man," Rodeo, and Appalachian Spring Suite. Performed by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.

Der "Ring" Ohne Worte performed by Lorin Maazel conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker. Selections from Richard Wagner's Der Ring Des Niblungen without the vocals.

Classical Thunder & Lightning by Mother Nature and the London Symphony Orchestra. It's a few classical works with thunderstorm sound effects on top of it. It's supposed to be soothing. I don't think so. Birthday present.

Carmen Without Words by Andre Kostelanetz and His Orchestra. Georges Bizet's opera Carmen minus the vocals.

Instrumental Gold collection by the London Pops Orchestra and Ensemble with Nelson Corbin conducting. Classical songs and stuff of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Christmas present.

Other CDs include Sounds of Spirit by the University of Houston Cougar Marching Band 1997. It's basically our stand and marching music for that year. Summon the Heroes by the Boston Pops Orchestra with John Williams conducting. Olympic themes and songs. And The Christmas Attic by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Like I said, it's not much.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps