Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Primarily for US residents...

Author Topic: Primarily for US residents...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether or not you are in agreement with the current actions of their commander in chief, I still think this is a good idea...

From an email I got...

quote:
For our friends, family, and fellow Americans we don't even know are in uniform...

If you are so inclined, visit the Department of Defense web page below and sign a brief message thanking the men and women of the U.S. military services for defending our freedom. The compiled list of names will be sent out to our soldiers at the end of the month. So far, there are less than 200,000 names - what a shame.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of government webpage would use that address?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its official. Its a Dept of Defence site the .mil address is the official military extention.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I'm actually, honestly surprised you didn't know that, 359.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, signed:

IHope YouDieInBattle, Washington D.C.

(They didn't have any middle eastern addresses. Ameriocentric, indeed.)

[ June 29, 2002, 13:16: Message edited by: Ultra Magnus Pym ]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

You're just mad because the Canadians don't care enough to get something like this going for their troops.

Of course, if Canadian support for their military is so low, it's just another good reason to invade when I become Emperor. Thanks. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have troops now?

Our soldiers are at their best when sandbagging Manitoba.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably 'cos the yanks have killed half the Canadian army by 'accidentally' dropping bombs on them. It's a conspiracy!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually fot we have been able to email our troops.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know about .mil, but I'm saying it's a rather fishy thing. First the unusual name of the website, second the rather barren and cheap webpage, and third, the fact that it appears to have come through spam mail...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no-one but the government could register a .mil domain...
The Real Folk Blues
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
second the rather barren and cheap webpage
i've noticed that a lot of gov't webpages are cheap and barren.
IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
359, I don't believe First specified it came over as spam mail. He simply stated he received it from an email he got. And it does look very official to me, so I've go no problem with it. A possible reason why it looks "cheap and barren" to you may be because they don't want to spit out more info than is really necessary or they simply don't have the time to make it complicated. Besides, do you really want extensively stuffed and complicated government websites?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps