Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Prisoner

Author Topic: The Prisoner
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First the link:
http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0061287

I have a friend here who has a box set for this series created in 1967. The set includs all 17 episodes and some interviews and a trivia game on some of the discs.
I have seen the first five eps.

If you haven't seen "The Prisoner" and get a chance, give the show a shot, watch more then the first two or three, and see if you don't become a fan as I have.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INFORMATION.

I'm not a number! I'm a MAN!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the ticket!

Sol, I really didn't know where to put this, If you wish to move it.

[Cool]

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only they'd waited long enough to include the Simpsons parody of the show (complete with voice by MacGoohan)..

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A strange cult UK TV series.
Like there weren't enough of those already [Big Grin]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant show. I first saw it in the early 80's, when Channel 4 had just started in the UK and they were reshowing a lot of old TV programmes. In fact, it was the first time Prisoner had been broadcast in colour.

First ep I saw was "The Schizoid Man." It was an episode originally quite late in the run, but in fact C4 had memorably screwed up - it got switched with "The Chimes of Big Ben" in the running order.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it not too long ago. My theater teacher showed it to us as the first example of critiquing theater. Yeah, wouldn't have been my first choice either.

So I didn't really find it all that enjoyable, though it may have just been the way in which it was presented to me.

[ July 01, 2002, 21:11: Message edited by: Professor Chaos ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think The Prisoner can be described under the SF umbrella, but I've got no problem with it here.

For a long time, as a child, I had this recurring image of a creepy white blob swallowing people. It wasn't until later that I remembered my father staying up late to catch episodes on PBS.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could that be where Austin Powers' No 2 is hatched from?
"WHO DOES No 2 WORK FOR????"
("That's right, you show that turd who's the boss!")

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

quote:

First ep I saw was "The Schizoid Man."

I just saw it night before last. Very good ep.
LAst night, I pulled out disc #, well, 6, and watched "Many Happy Returns", anoth3er very good ep.

quote:

For a long time, as a child, I had this recurring image of a creepy white blob swallowing people. It wasn't until later that I remembered my father staying up late to catch episodes on PBS.

I think Rover is just misunderstood.

The interview, with one of the production people, said that they hadn't worked out what they were going to do with Rover, or at least how to do it. They contacted some f/x people, who brought them what was discribed as a cake on wheels. The same guy and Patrick Magoohan were haveing dinner one evening, and noticed some weather ballons over head, and the rest is TV history.

Be Seein ya.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kosh:
They contacted some f/x people, who brought them what was discribed as a cake on wheels.

A Wimbledon-winning blancmange, perhaps?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning! It's a lovely day in The Village!

I saw about half of the episodes. My parents have most of them on tape, from when PBS went through the entire run about ten years ago or more. My mom got me interested in the show.

It was certainly interesting, and bizarre. All of the little details and nuances worked together into something rather disturbing. One of the things I really loved was how they kept replacing Number Two.

However, I stopped watching the shows after that "Wild West" episode, which left me completely confused. I suppose I should go back and try to finish the series before I have to return to college in September.

Be seeing you...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

I saw "Living in Harmony" last night. Very cool ep.

[Cool]

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps