Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Anyone besides Capt. Kyle get bad e-mails from "me"?

Author Topic: Anyone besides Capt. Kyle get bad e-mails from "me"?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alex recently reported to me that I may have been infected with the Kletz virus or something similar, which sends out messages to people in my address book from "my" address. Very nasty business...

I downloaded and ran Symantec's removal tool, but it told me I didn't have the virus, so I don't know. I'll keep looking into it. Unfortunately, I'm rather computer-dumb in reality, so I don't know what will come of it.

But, I've switched my account to [email protected], so hopefully I won't have trouble with that.

In any case, if you got a bad e-mail from me, I apologize profusely and hope you will not hold a grudge. [Wink]

Sincerely,
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you have a light one we shouldn't be holding a grudge....
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's "Klez", it's actually a "worm", and these days it's everywhere. I keep having to clean it off the machines at work.

When it mails itself out, it forges the "From" line to have an address taken from the address book/ICQ list/random files/&c. of the infected machine. So, if someone got a Klez mail that said it came from you, it actually came from someone who has you listed in their address book or wherever. If you used the Symantec removal tool, and it didn't find anything, you don't have it. But someone you probably know does.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the one that tries to start when you open the file in Outlook Express, and the attachments are usually and .exe and a Jpeg? I seem to get one of them on a daily basis, although not from any e-mail addresses I recognise.

Anyway, basic anti virus steps.

If you are using Outlook Express, it is VITAL that you have all the updates for it from Windows Update. They stop virii messing with JAVAscript in order to run simply by you opening the file.

Second, never open attachments unless they are from someone you know, and you are sure what they are. While you can't get a virus from opening a jpeg (although there is one that can be triggered by a jpeg, but that's so extremely rare as to only exist in labs), any sort of executable file shouldn't be treated with EXTREME suspicion. And if it does the double barrelled ending thing (ie, Worm.gif.exe), then delete it and don't look back.

Don't download warez. Very easy way to get viruses.

Get a virus checker or, better yet, use a firewall. Prevention is much better than cure.

I meant it about the attachment thing. Don't do it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
any sort of executable file shouldn't be treated with EXTREME suspicion
That would be unwise.

quote:
Don't download warez. Very easy way to get viruses.
For the uninitiated, perhaps. *whistles*

quote:
Get a virus checker or, better yet, use a firewall. Prevention is much better than cure.
True enough, but neither is worth a flying "fuck" if one doesn't configure, manage, and use them properly. In the end, simple common sense still offers the best chance of survival. To use a tired analogy: all the airbags and anti-lock braking systems in the world won't help a lot if you drive like a complete moron. Pretty much negates any protection those systems offer.

I'm all for a digital driver's license. Require people to pass several tests that examine their ability to deal responsibly with dangerous situations they might face.

Where have the old days of DOS gone, when it took a combination of insight, knowledge, skill, profanity and luck to operate a PC? [Big Grin]

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to some, we're still in that period.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, brain glitch. I meant to say "should", not "shouldn't".

quote:
Where have the old days of DOS gone, when it took a combination of insight, knowledge, skill, profanity and luck to operate a PC?
Into the past, where they belong. Did you really enjoy having to alter your autoexec.bat file everytime you wanted to play a game?

You did?

You twat.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Fighting "xxx KB conventional memory needed" battles was thoroughly rewarding. Pulling off a victory meant that once again, the horrid management of DOS had proven no match for the zealous, painstaking and persistive efforts of yours truly to get THAT GAME to run properly. And a worthy opponent it was, too. It was a time when merely installing a program meant excitement, when just navigating the interface demanded utter concentration, when computers were considered scary by the general public, when simply knowing how to activate one made you special, when... none of today's oversimplified nonsense existed yet, dammit [Smile]

[ July 23, 2002, 06:07: Message edited by: Cartman ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

No. Today you have to get your pleasure from actually playing the game.

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

But where's the fun in that?

[ July 23, 2002, 07:22: Message edited by: Cartman ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

From the playing. And from listening to the super smashing great voice acting of JC Denton and pals.

--------------------

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JC Denton is a stalwart companion, neverminding the fact that I seem to have the buggiest copy of Deus Ex in the Northern Hemisphere.
StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't open any attachments at all unless I know who they are from, and exactly why they were sent and what it is. I recently got two odd emails in one day on an account only people from an email sim have the address to. One was from one of my buddies in the sim...it had an attachment and only said "check this out!". I dumped it. The guy hadn't been on in a couple of weeks and I wasn't expecting mail from him.

The other was from someone I did not know at all. It had an attachment too, but said something like "check this site out!". It got dumped as well.

Have no idea what they were, how they got there, and don't care.

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that Klez worm is pretty damn annoying... I get at least one or two e-mails a day from random e-mail addresses that I've never heard of. The majority of them are directed to my site's webmaster account, which is by nature a publicly available address for visitors to contact me. Therefore, it tends to draw some junk mail with suspicious attachments, probably from visitors who sent me an e-mail eight months ago that said something like "dOOd yur sitE rox!!!1!1" and so my address is conveniently in their database...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps