Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I got a laptop! Hooray! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I got a laptop! Hooray!
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's funny, Alienware said to me that they can upgrade my cpu, hard drive, and memory whenever I feel like... I just have to send it to them.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was referring to self-upgrading. And, depending on how it's set up, upgrading the CPU and memory are likely to require putting in a whole new motherboard. Not a problem you'd have w/ a desktop (unless you're simply upgrading beyond the motherboard's capabilities).
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's funny... I seem to recall that I bought a 256 KB memory stick and installed it onto my iBook with only a little screwdriver as a tool. [Wink] Just a week ago, my sister bought an Airport card (wireless networking) and had that installed at home also.

Granted, the iBooks aren't the most upgradeable systems -- the hard drive and CD/DVD drives aren't switchable without factory servicing. But at the same time, the iBooks aren't marketed for upgrading as much -- they're built to last, and target more for personal/educational use. If you want better utility and upgrade options, then you go for the G4 TiBook.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
256 KB? Not much of an upgrade [Razz]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but no-one will ever need more than 640kB of memory, anyway.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
h4 H@!!! Bill 94+3$ I5 $0 STUPid!! sT3v3 jOB5 K1ck5 h1M In Hi5 Fac3!! APpl3 aND Lun1x pH0rV3r 8@bIe5! NOW 90 h0me!1
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would only be funny if I were that incoherent. Fortunately, I have valid reasons for preferring the Macintosh. Am I to be ostracized as a drooling, unintelligible nut simply because I'm enthusiastic about the kind of computer that I use?

You're just jealous because your computer isn't as cool as mine. [Razz]

(And all kidding aside, yes, I am aware that some people prefer Windows or Linux or UNIX or... you get my drift. I may not agree with that opinion, but does that mean I have to remain quiet? I can respect others' opinions and still promote my own view.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can respect others' opinions and still promote my own view.
not possible.
IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was more directed towards how Bill Gates was a dummy back in like 1934 or something. Because he was a dummy.
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

you guys do know that Bill Gates probably never made that little comment about 640k being enough for anybody, right?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Macs as well. I inherited an old all-in-one box from my dad in the late 1980s. It had a 40 MB hard drive and 4 MB RAM. I've been using exclusively Macs ever since. I'm not a techie, so I like the simplicity of using a Mac. No apologies.

Any other Mac users here?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic EdipisReks:
quote:
not possible.
Oh, sure it is. That's like saying that tolerance means that EVERYONE is right, and that you don't disagree with anyone. It's redefining the word. Don't do that.

As for getting burned, that's why I don't buy on online classified ads any more. And it's also why I don't buy from eBay sellers that just registered. I bought a $400 CD-RW drive/MP3 player for $85, and the guy didn't send the battery ($60) or the wired remote that contains the MP3 decoding hardware ($70), both of which were specifically stated to be included in the item description. Further, he refuses to respond to repeated e-mails to fix it, his phone number connects to a modem, and he's not listed in any directory I can find. All I have is an address and two, count them, TWO different names. Dyenis Kaslo, AKA Jian Liu, of Rockville, MD. I may just get enough from eBay fraud insurance to cover the battery. If I'm lucky. Pleh.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
quote:
Originally posted by Prismatic EdipisReks:
quote:
not possible.
Oh, sure it is. That's like saying that tolerance means that EVERYONE is right, and that you don't disagree with anyone. It's redefining the word. Don't do that.
it was a joke, dude. no need to get all hot and bothered.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*SMACK*

Shut up, Edipis.

*WHACK*

Shut up, Omega.

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

you shut up, or the jeep gets it.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps