Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Of trackballs and touchpads (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Of trackballs and touchpads
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
Trackball? Wow... I haven't used one since 1997. I'd consider switching to an optical mouse; there are no moving parts to clean and can work on any surface, even on the human torso.

Thanx for sharing...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm, ew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda explains why he's single, doesn't it?
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use my optical mouse on my leg, it's a lot more comfortable than stretching my arm out to the desk. [Mad]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the imagery is completely different.....
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... further experimenting. My PS/2 port is fine, seeing as other mice work. My trackball is fine, seeing as it works on my desktop. Thus, the problem is in the software interface. I've downloaded the drivers with no success. Further suggestions?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Keep the mice....
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And feed them this time.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curiouser and curiouser. The trackball works consistantly IF I drape the cord over the upper-left corner of the screen. This has no effect on the actual position of the connector in the jack. Frelling dumb. But, hey, it works, and I get to keep using my three-button PS/2.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to get a deluxe optical wireless USB-connected receiver trackball. Heh.

Out of curiosity, maybe you should check the connector betwen the jack and the motherboard inside the case, assuming that the connector isn't part of the motherboard itself.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks you ought to replace the cord. Sounds like one of the wires running through the thing is broken.
Omega
Member # 91

That would have been my guess, were I required to make one. But how do you propose I do this?

--------------------

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Changing a cord is really very simple, you might not even have to change the whole cord. First check the cord for any obvious nicks, cuts, squashes. Second if you don't find any, position the cord where the tb works fine, then wiggle the cord (nearest connectors, or where it goes into the TB) and see if you can get the TB to stop working. If you find the area you may be able to cut the cord and spice it back together.
If this method does not work or you feel better about replacing the whole thing, Open the tb up and determine how many wires are in the cord. You will also have to determine where the wires go on the pinouts, at the connector. Go to an Electronics store and get a peice of the required cable, with a connector already on it would be preferable, and remake the end needed to connect to the tb itself. Or if the tb end of the cord is soldered to the board inside and you don't feel comfortable soldering to the board, then just cut the cord inside the tb(a cord inside is usually protected from breakage) and spice the new cord to the old one.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Then after factoring in the time taken to do all of this, dividing by pi, and multipled by the hourly rate you make at work, you may find it less expensive to buy a new one....

Had that happen to a mouse once, I found that I had placed the monitors base on it, then with the kids adjusting the monitor for their viewing pleasure it went to hell in a hand basket...

Other mice I have worn out, the connection at the mouse went out. I can see this with a moving mouse, but a track ball shouldn't be moved that much....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barring use on the human torso of course.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps