Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Historical note

Author Topic: Historical note
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James K. Polk, the US's 11th president, died 150 years ago today. His accomplishments are nearly unrivaled, and he is often considered to be among the greatest, and most obscure, of the US presidents. You can find more information on Polk here and here.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

So, from what I read I must conclude he was a miltarist, expansionist dickhead. Right?

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polk.... Hey, when I got lost in San Fransico, I found a Polk street ... does that count?

------------------
If I follow you home, will you keep me?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was certainly an expansionist...the only other president under which the US gained more territory was Jefferson, I believe.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank." - TMBG

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Glad he didn't live next to us then.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polk? Imperialist? I suppose so, but in those days, who wasn't?

On the other hand...

Free Aruba, Imperialist pigdogs! :P
And the Antilles! and GTHOOOH! (2nd H = Hemisphere)

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

[This message was edited by First of Two on June 15, 1999.]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polk was successful, I will grant that, but I do not believe he was a great president. The dominating event from his administration, the Mexican American War was called by U.S. Grant, and I paraphrase a bit here: 'The most unjust war ever waged by a stronger nation against a weaker one.'

It is, however, wrong for an historian to take a modern precept or belief and view a past event through such modern eyes. For example the concept of expansionism was all the rage and not viewed with the same sort of contempt as it is today. Further, Polk was fulfilling one of his campaign promises by addressing the concept of Manifest Destiny.

Or, as it were, the idea that it was God's plan for the United States to stretch from sea to shining sea. The other people there, be they native, Mexican, or British (as was the case of the 54 40 boundry dispute in the Oregon territories), were mearly standing in the way of the American frontiersmen from the completion of God's plan. And who were we, simple Americans to stand in the way of God's plan.

Nevertheless, one of the major problems I have with the Mexican American War, beside the outlandish expansionist tone of the whole thing, and the half truths foisted on the Mexicans to get the whole thing going in the first place. For more information on what I mean by this, look at the Spot Resolutions presented to Congress by the Congressmen from Illinois, Abraham Lincoln. But beyond that, the Mexican American War is one of the great underlying casues of the American Civil War.

Polk was a southerner by birth, being from North Carolina and living in Tennessee. He was pushed, in a way, by both his rather aristrocratic birth and southern slave holding cohorts into the increase of land. The consequence of expansion turned in a great free-for-all on the floor of Congress and stump speakers both north and south. The accretion of slavery into the territory gained from the wars, as states were created from the vast expance, was viewed as a means for survival for slavery in the south and therefore a good thing. On the other hand, the north saw the things as just the opposite in that the expansion of slavery meant that it would continue to live on in the American system.

Now, by no means did the Mexican American War create these feelings, for they had been an underlying fact of life since the creation of the 3/5ths clause in the Constitution. But what the Mexican American War did was to bring feeling and rhetoric to a boiling point. It made the Missouri compromise of 1820 obsolete and predicated the Compromise of 1850. Which in and of itself didn't last very long before Senator Steven A. Douglas was calling for the ideal of Popular Sovereignty.

------------------
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!
~Homer Simpson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1844, the Democrats were split
The three nominees for the presidential candidate
Were Martin Van Buran, a former president and an abolitionist
James Buchanan, a moderate
Louis Cass, a general and expansionist
From Nashville came a dark horse riding up
He was James K. Polk, Napoleon of the stump

Austere, severe, he held few people dear
His oratory filled his foes with fear
The factions soon agreed
He's just the man we need
To bring about victory
Fulfill our manifest destiny
And annex the land the Mexicans command
And when the votes were cast the winner was
Mr. James K. Polk, Napoleon of the stump

*singing saw solo*

In four short years he met his every goal
He seized the whole southwest from Mexico
Made sure the tariffs fell
And made the English sell
The Oregon Territory
He built an independant treasury
Having done all this he sought no second term
But precious few have mourned the passing of
Mr. James K. Polk our eleventh president
Young Hickory, Napoleon of the stump

(Of course, as Jay will no doubt remind us, Van Buren wasn't exactly an abolitionist, and Polk restored the independant treasury.)

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No need to now.

------------------
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!
~Homer Simpson

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps