Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » To build or not to build

Author Topic: To build or not to build
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just aquired several more Star Trek Ertl models from my friend who needed to get rid of them. Most are in unopened boxes and I wondered if I should build them myself or just hire someone to build them for me. I'm too busy to do it myself now since I'm a detail oriented freak who would spend hours making sure the ship looks as close as it should to the studio filming model with lights and other goodies. So should I hire someone to do it for me or should I let the boxes sit there and make them myself?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you decide to hire someone, I think Shikishima should be first on your list. From what I've seen on his website, he does A+ work ... plus, he's anal about getting the stuff right.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I don't fuck around with lighting & that shit.

Seriously. To have someone build you a top-notch lighted kit will cost you in the range of about $300 probably. That's a low-end estimate, too.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He does not beat around the fucking bush either.....
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless it takes you years to build a single one, and that you do a crappy job, and have money buring though your pocket, by all means hire someone. Hell I could do it for you, just send $1,200 within the next two days and I'll have it completed four years from now. [Wink]

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes., that's true. If you want a good one & you've never built a model yourself, Trek ones are NOT the way to start out. Just know that everyone has their fortes. For instance, I know a lot of people who are grand at construction--the seams are invisible, everything is perfectly & exactingly aligned...but they simply cannot paint. On the other hand, I'm good at construction, but putty is not my happy little playtime friend & I DO leave seams, try as I might. But I fucking R0XX0RZ on painting, or at least try to, & all without an airbrush to be had.

Most people will also charge you as I do--parts, labor, & shipping, including any special needs items (e.g., filler foam for vacuform kits). Since you're providing parts, it'll be less of a cost.

On this board, you have me & you have Fructose (Erick.) But there's more people to be had at Starship Modeler.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah; I have this thing with modelling; I can only assemble and paint well tanks and WW2 planes. It's quite strange actually...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have money to burn when it comes to Star Trek... but very little patience since it is my money. I want the best and the most detailed as possible. Maybe I should look around in the Starship Modeler forums.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Shik
Member # 343

"The best and most detailed possible" could very well cost you $500. Per ship.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More if he wants the genuine to-scale antimatter tanks. [Smile]
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my first model was an Enterprise-D in 1988. i built in with a flat paint scheme and battle damage, and a penlight in each nacelle. the cherry bomb fit very well inside it, the nacelles flew nicely sideways.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Thinks]modelling.... late seventies..... mmmm, probably an airplane.... maybe a B-17.....
Damn kids, anyway....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried building a model kit of the original Enterprise once. I screwed up the decals and ripped 'em.

I tried building a model kit of the refit Enterprise once. The glue melted the neck and nacelle pylons.

I tried building a model kit of the Enterprise-D once. I screwed up the decals, melted the neck with the glue, and spilled paint.

I suck at models.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did all of the above.. but thanks to a grill lighter and my insistence that all my models be battle damaged, i pulled them off.. i rearranged parts of the 1701-A more than i can count. i made and unmade some pretty damning kitbashes in my day. i think its why i can draw pictures of the Connie, refit and Galaxy so well.. i can close my eyes and remember the details how they felt in my hands.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps