Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Can anyone get onto the Trek BBS??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can anyone get onto the Trek BBS???
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the title says, can any one get onto the Trek BBS? Are they finally doing their server move? Did their hosting service kick them off like Bernd's did? Does anyone know what happened to it?

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you didn't read one of the several announcements that were posted on Trek Today (and presumably on the Trek BBS in the aptly-named "Announcements" forum [Razz] ). The company that maintains the server was moving its data center from Baltimore to Florida. Christian said that the whole thing should be back up by around noon on Sunday.

I don't know if Christian is using this opportunity to also upgrade the Trek BBS, but I doubt it, since he'd need to have access in order to transfer the files, etc.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, definitely not loading the software. Apparently, he started on it again from scratch because a new version of the software came out, so we have to wait even longer. I don't get why it takes so long, even if it is a big BBS.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it MIGHT have something to do with the fact that Christian has a hell of a lot of projects on his plate?
  1. Managing an entire web server. Unlike virtual hosting which is how most small-time webmasters do it, running an entire server is a whole lot more work.
  2. Working on articles for TrekToday and SlipstreamNews.
  3. Riding herd on the roiling cesspool of �berfanboys that is the TrekBBS and that haven of weirdness that is the SlipstreamBBS.
  4. Having a real life. (Presumably.)
  5. Working a job. (Almost certainly.)
And despite this, you still wonder what's taking him so long? You should be wondering how the heck he manages to handle that all -- even with co-editors and administrators, he's still the one running the shows.

These two comics were published a few months ago. I saved them because they're particularly relevant to me as a Trek webmaster who frequently gets e-mails about why certain parts of my site aren't updated.

-

-

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been over a year and some people are wondering where the money they sent him is being used. I did genuinely want to know why it took a long time though, since I have a few friends with message boards and they seemed to think it didn't take long to update software. Sorry if I came off as being rude, I was just wondering. Nice cartoons. [Frown]

--------------------

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thankx all. didn't know about all that.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Johnny
Member # 878

It's back up now, btw. [Smile]

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this comic, Minutiaeman! That's just what I have been looking for to attach to part of my e-mail replies.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any comments, Charles, on the state of the upgrade for Trekbbs? I don't go there much anymore, but I know a lot of people did send money, and I'd bet they are begining to wonder where it went. I know Christian is busy, but I know that Charles was working on it also, and I'm sure Lisa was in on the changes.

I sent him an e-mail, and offered to contribute, but he didn't answer.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I'm curious about the archives as well -- mainly because there are several archived threads that I bookmarked ages ago but disappeared. One in particular is where the "Star Trek: Renaissance" fan fiction project began. Though the end result has gone far, far beyond what any of the original contributors expected, the actual origins have disappeared into the ether. (Also known as the black hole that is Christian's current server. [Wink] )

It's been said that the archived threads would be put back online after the upgrade, so I've been waiting for that for QUITE a while!

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to find the archives! two words: major barcalow!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only one, actually.
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried repeatedly this night to gain access to TrekBBS. I keep getting a message which says the site is unavailable.
Johnny
Member # 878

Yep, it's down.

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosh - well, unfortunately we keep foiling his plans by making new releases, which he then has to upgrade to... I haven't seen the prototype board, but I hear it's pretty good.

Then again, the new server seems to be handling the UBB as is just fine...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps