Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » PS2 or X-Box? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: PS2 or X-Box?
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally have the XBox and love it to death. I agree that the PS2 does have a one-year advantage of titles released, but I had to go with the XBox for its power and lineup. Halo is basicly a required purchase when you get this system. It is by far my favorite game to date. Im not too woried about the amount of exclusives, although the exclusives the XBox does have are very quality games. (Multiplatform games always look best on the XBox). Some really cool titles that I reccomend include:

Halo
Dead or Alive 3
Airforce Delta Storm
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer
Dave Mirra's BMX 2
Turok: Evolution
Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter SE
The Thing

Upcomming xbox-only titles (some are time-exclusive):
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Shenmue II
Brute Force
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
James Bond 007: NightFire
X-Men: Next Dimention
Unreal Championship

Not to mention XBox live-- $50 for a year of service and a plantronics headset worth the $50 alone. I'm pretty active in SA's game community, which is a massive one (CliffyB of UT fame posts there regularly) and the general consensus there is Metal Gear Solid 2 for the PS2 was sort of a let down since you play as snake only half the time. Substance includes the ability to play as Snake, the Ninja, and other characters though the entire game (sort of a parellel story for each character) plus a ton of new VR missions.

Then again, if you are a Final Fantasy fan, the PS2 is a must since Square and Microsoft talks are still shakey.

A lot of those awesome games coming out are within the next few months... not several thousand years.

The XBox comes with a broadband adapter built in, alowing you to play any game supporting system link online-- for free. The Live service is optional. The 10GB hard drive, and with a $40 Live-safe mod chip... the ability to play N64/SNES/NES/Dreamcast/PSX (and probably PS2 and GameCube within a year) games with xbox graphical enhancements makes it a must-have system for me. Hell, Halo alone was, but still the modding capabilities with all the components you get with an XBox is just damn sweet. Seeing Halo 2's trailer earlier this year gave me goosebumps.

Bottom line, XBox is the superior system, modded, it has the superior library of games, hands down. I consider it the serious gamers console.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want to increase your chances of crashing?

I've just bought a Gamecube, mainly because I really wanted Rogue Leader and Mario. And Super Monkey Ball. Plus we already have a PS2 in the house.

If I didn't have a console, I would probably (and begrudgingly) go for a PS2, for the DVD capabilities and the shitload of games available for it.

The Gamecube though wins out in terms of sheer "fun". And multi-player, simply having four controller ports means games are more likely to take advantage of them. Although some of you will have to try and get 3 other friends before you can use them.

X-Box...eh. Halo does look better than buttered toast, but apart from that, nothing really seems to stand out. And it is coming out on the PC...

And wow. X-Box is getting "Shenmue II". Because it's impossible to play that on any other console.

Actually, if you do have friends, then you could probably pick up a Dreamcast, Virtua Tennis 2 and Chu Chu Rocket for less than a brand new X-Box game. And have a lot more fun.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought about getting a game consol, but I'm in no hurry. After getting the N64 and Dreamcast and not playing them shortly after purchase I don't feel the need to waste money that could go into my car.

However, if I wanted to and could manage a way to have it play off my laptop I'd consider getting one or the other. Sadly both systems have games I want making the decision harder.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
You want to increase your chances of crashing?

Holly shit.. what? XBoxes do not crash. They use popular components like NVidia and Intel, but that in no way makes it a PC. You are still running games straight, not operating systems or driver layers. Unless you were talking about PC.

quote:
X-Box...eh. Halo does look better than buttered toast, but apart from that, nothing really seems to stand out. And it is coming out on the PC...

Halo is scheduled for a PC launch in about a year. By then, Halo 2 will be in full hype, and of course, an XBox exclusive for a very long time... perhaps Halo 2 will hit the PC when Halo 3 is coming out for XBox? Mabye... Plus the community and interactivity XBox Live gives you is going to be loads more fun then a standard PC game. Voice chat with custom voice effects alone give you more of a feeling that your in a room full of friends.... not across the internet from them.

quote:
And wow. X-Box is getting "Shenmue II". Because it's impossible to play that on any other console.

Very true. I guess I didnt do my research. Of course graphicly the XBox version will be superior, but gameplay is gameplay -- and gameplay does come first.

quote:
Actually, if you do have friends, then you could probably pick up a Dreamcast, Virtua Tennis 2 and Chu Chu Rocket for less than a brand new X-Box game. And have a lot more fun.

Of course thats opinion, Dead or Alive 3 and Halo alone have kept me and my friends busy for hours.. even an entire night of Halo once. It never gets old. Especially when a friend comes over with his XBox and we link up for some 8 player action. Halo parties are so fucking cool.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Holly shit.. what? XBoxes do not crash. They use popular components like NVidia and Intel, but that in no way makes it a PC. You are still running games straight, not operating systems or driver layers. Unless you were talking about PC.

Actually, I was talking about Liz.

And yes, yes, Halo is excellent, great, only the forth game that popular hardcore gaming mag Edge has ever given 10 out of 10 for (very snobby. Simon would love it). But, y'know, one great game does not a console make. One amazing, stunning, superb game does not a console make.

quote:
By then, Halo 2 will be in full hype, and of course, an XBox exclusive for a very long time... perhaps Halo 2 will hit the PC when Halo 3 is coming out for XBox? Mabye...
And you can bet Microsoft will keep pushing it up until (and past) the point where we are bloody sick of it. At least Nintendo are wise enough not to release a Mario game every single year (if we ignore handhelds).

quote:
Voice chat with custom voice effects alone give you more of a feeling that your in a room full of friends.... not across the internet from them.

Yeah, and all this stuff is cool. I am still slightly wary of hardcore online gaming in general, but it doesn't stop this being nice. Although internet connectivity and all that was one of the main points of the Dreamcast, and look what happened there.

For the other games you've mentioned, Nightfire is definitly having a PC release soon (although it will be a bit different than the console version), there is at least one LOTR game due out for PC as well (again though, there is confusion due to the fact that there is a movie LOTR licence and a book LOTR licence), and surely Unreal Championship is just going to be a modified Unreal Tornament 2003?

The Life-safe mod chip does sound interesting, but I really, really, really doubt that it will be able to play PS2 games at anywhere near the speed of a PS2. The X-Box might be more powerful, but emulation is still a very processor intensive thing, and considering the nightmarish design of the PS2, I'd say it's unlikely to be even close to running the games on a PS2.

quote:
Bottom line, XBox is the superior system, modded, it has the superior library of games, hands down. I consider it the serious gamers console.

XBox is technically the superior console. Of course, the N64 was technically superior to the PSX, and we all saw how that turned out. The Dreamcast is now thought to be pretty much equal power-wise with a PS2, and again, we saw what happened there. Power does not make a console.

Modding is a PC thing. You are going to have to do a lot more to convince me that being able to Mod an X-Box game will drastically affect sales figures.

As for superior library of games, that's rather more debatable. Jedi Starfighter's a fun game. The Thing is a fun game. Dave Mirra's BMX 2 is probably as fun as Tony Hawk's 3. But they are nothing that the PS2 hasn't got an equivalent of. And the Gamecube may lack them, but it's targetting a slightly different audience.

Hell, even the much vaunted Dead or Alive 3, while no doubt an excellent game, is still not quite as good as Soul Calibur, the sequal to which is coming out on all three next-gen consoles I believe.

The PS2 is building on it's predecessor's name as the most successful console in the world. It's a brand that everyone knows of, it has the games, it has the looks, it's clearly in the lead.

The Gamecube benefits from the fact that, hey, it's Nintendo. Despite being possibly the least technically advanced of the three (on paper), Rogue Squadron shows that it can still look pretty nice, and Miyamoto's genius can never be underestimated. Through in the Game Boy Advances massive sales, and the fact that it has the best controller, and it becomes impossible to write Nintendo off.

XBox has Microsoft's muscle to back it up, but also has Microsoft's name to put it off. MS are still having to persuade Japanese companies to develop for it, and the Japanese public aren't really going for it. Remove the Eastern side of the equation, and you have a console for the west. In other words, a PC. You can't ignore the fact that Halo is an amazing game, or the fact that (again, on paper), it's the most powerful machine. And with Microsoft roughly the GNP of most of Africa into it daily, it certainly has support from it's parent. Will it gain the trust of the Japanese market though? Time will tell.

Also, the controller is shit. Really. It is. It's tragic. Awful. Who the fuck designed the thing? Eh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just waiting for Vice City to be ported to the PC, can't wait for that M-60, I want to make swiss cheese out of motor vehichles.

-

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the computer store today and they had three computers linked up playing a game... something Area III what is this... walk around and try to shoot the other guys... cool. It says it's not out yet - they had a preview copy playing.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be Quake III Arena. I'm mildy perturbed by the fact you didn't recognize it. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY!

"Holly shit.. what? XBoxes do not crash. They use popular components like NVidia and Intel, but that in no way makes it a PC. You are still running games straight, not operating systems or driver layers."

Actually, they do. Instead of blue screens of death, you get... green ones. Very rare, but known to happen.

As for X-Boxes being technically superior: BetaMax, 'nuff said. Ultimately, marketing determines the amount of succes a product enjoys.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unreal Tournament 2003 kicks Q3A's a$$.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wes
Member # 212

quote:
Originally posted by E. Cartman:
That would be Quake III Arena. I'm mildy perturbed by the fact you didn't recognize it. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY!

"Holly shit.. what? XBoxes do not crash. They use popular components like NVidia and Intel, but that in no way makes it a PC. You are still running games straight, not operating systems or driver layers."

Actually, they do. Instead of blue screens of death, you get... green ones. Very rare, but known to happen.

As for X-Boxes being technically superior: BetaMax, 'nuff said. Ultimately, marketing determines the amount of succes a product enjoys.

You are thinking about the XBox XDK system which developers use for games -- it runs though a SDK and a debug version of DirectX8. No home console can crash.
Wes
Member # 212

quote:
And you can bet Microsoft will keep pushing it up until (and past) the point where we are bloody sick of it. At least Nintendo are wise enough not to release a Mario game every single year (if we ignore handhelds).
Halo selling way better then Sunshine is of course proof of this.

quote:
I am still slightly wary of hardcore online gaming in general, but it doesn't stop this being nice.
wary of hardcore online gaming? a third of the internet's users at any time are playing a game. check out gamespy's statistics on it. In fact, the UT2003 demo took up about half the internet's bandwidth at one time.

as for console gaming online, i dunno if you are familure with XBand, a huge online service for Genesis and SNES. There was definitely a stable community there for years.

quote:
The Life-safe mod chip does sound interesting, but I really, really, really doubt that it will be able to play PS2 games at anywhere near the speed of a PS2.
This is very true, however there are attempts being made. Even getting simple funtionality out of it would be a very good thing.

quote:
As for superior library of games, that's rather more debatable. Jedi Starfighter's a fun game. The Thing is a fun game. Dave Mirra's BMX 2 is probably as fun as Tony Hawk's 3.
I was taking into consideration the emulation abilities. That includes the entire NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, Nintendo 64, PSX, Gameboy, GB Color, GB Advance.. and I think MAME will soon have a port with working sound.

quote:
and surely Unreal Championship is just going to be a modified Unreal Tornament 2003?
Its about 50/50. Half of the levels and weapons are also found in UT2003, but there are plenty of new maps and features to warrent owning both.

As for Nightfire having a PC release, where do you read this? About LOTR -- i was talking about the movie.

Not to mention the Matrix games are XBox exclusives.

quote:
But, y'know, one great game does not a console make. One amazing, stunning, superb game does not a console make.
In all seriousness, it doesnt "make" a console, but it certainly gets them into homes. Zelda for the Nintendo64 is great proof of this as well as Halo.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Unreal Tournament - yes. And purturb all you like - The last 'computer game' I bought was Wing Commander 3. I've only JUST recently got a new computer to replace my 1996 P133. So I haven't played any games since... 1997 or so.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of all the games mentioned for X-Box, Halo, Splinter Cell, Halo 2, and Shenmus 2 are the only ones i'm excited about. Rally is a good game, but i like GT3 better. I've played a beta of Unreal Championship, and UT2k3 does more for me. i definitely think i'm gonna go get the PS2, but i may go get an X-Box next year, if enough games come out for it. the GameCube is fun (a couple of my friends have one), but it needs more "adult games". Eternal Darkness is a good start, and the RE games are cool, but Nintendo needs to build on this. i also dislike the controller (the button configuration gives me fits, the buttons hurt my fingers, and i hate how the analog sticks have a polygonal guide around them). [Smile]
IP: Logged
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nimpim:
I'm just waiting for Vice City to be ported to the PC, can't wait for that M-60, I want to make swiss cheese out of motor vehichles.

your little friend there needs to load his M-60 [Wink]
IP: Logged
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of those N64 games are pretty good. I'm playing Zelda for the first time on it, and I think it's the best game I've played since, oh, probably Super Metroid. I'm still not convinced it deserved all those perfect ten scores, but hey, it's fun.

Metal Gear Solid was better, but that's because Solid Snake is the fucking shit as far as video game characters go. (We used to go around doing impersonations of that game's voice actors at work..."What's that you got there, Snake? A cardboard box? Heh. They'll never know what hit 'em" while breaking down boxes would usually start off a round of Metal Gearisms. Don't know why that was so amusing, but it was. My friend could do David Hayter's gravelly Snake voice so well, it was scary.)

Plus, it had my favorite video game institution: the (currently politically incorrect) sniper battles.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was pretty great, too. Especially since if you didn't bother figuring out that you weren't supposed to kill the guy with the whip, you'd miss over half the game. Same friend of mine that does the snake voice bought Castlevania used, played it, got to whip guy, killed him, decided the game: "while graphically resplendant, it is far too easy and short for my tastes" took it back and sold it. Finding out that indeed, there was an entire second half to it, he went and bought it again.

I like my friends.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps