Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » "Twenty-Oh-One: A Space Odyssey"? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Twenty-Oh-One: A Space Odyssey"?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by O Captain Mike Captain:

btw, no one i know has ever said two-thousand-and-anything. its not an american thing, its just you.

That's true, in the sense that everyone I know says "Two thousand and two". Like everyone I know said "Two thousand and one". Like the movie did.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some websites say that British English requires the 'and'. In the US, it seems we don't pronounce the 'and' so clearly, if at all, so I'll often hear two thousann'n'one or simply two thousand one.

Sol: Ok, eighteen-nineteen rhymes better than twenty-eighteen, but you get the idea. Anyway, it may be a personal thing. I'd pronounce the date two thousand xx.

Boris

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by O Captain Mike Captain:
i'm going to say twenty ten and no one can fucking stop me. i think a lot of other people will too, because it has one less syllable that two thousand ten.

btw, no one i know has ever said two-thousand-and-anything. its not an american thing, its just you.

Maybe I should have rePHRASED that for you Mike... Everyone in Australia says two thousand and two... not two-thousand-two. And Brit's I heard say too and Kiwi's.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the 'and' for 2001, but I tend to just say "two thousand two" for 2002.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laziness like leaving out the u in words like harbour, colour and honour.

Not converting to the metric like the rest of the world.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Laziness like leaving out the u in words like harbour, colour and honour."

We didn't leave them out; you put them in.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it would be helpful if something interesting had happened between the years 999 and 1010 AD, just to see how we'd refer to them. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps