Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » It's still out there! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It's still out there!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was enjoying a quiet afternoon playing a not-so-quiet game of Civilization III. I'm in the middle of a war with my neighbors, the Japanese (run by the game's AI), and after several turns of having my diplomatic overtures rebuffed, they finally agreed to negotiate.

And THIS REPLY is what I got! Augh!!!

It seems that the guys who programmed the game have a bad sense of humor.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was probably programmed back when that was still funny.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AYBABTU will never die!

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Well, it was probably programmed back when that was still funny.

Yeah, that's what I figured. The game was released about a year ago, and the dialogue was certainly programmed in several months sooner while it was under development.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, what does that mean. It sounds familiar but I don't have the slightest idea where I heard or read it.
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think it's funny. Very apt for the game and the country, anyway.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
China? Democracy? That itself is a joke.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Yeah, but that's just the game conditions. I was playing as China, and my government is currently a Democracy.

I promise you, that I am not Chairman Mao Tse-tung! [Wink]

Although my country has been having some problems with corruption lately...

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gotten that too. I believe there is another AYBABTU reference elsewhere in the game (can't remember where)

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is probably in the scenerio where Cats destroys your fleet and takes over all your bases. He is wiley.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More police takes care of the corruption issues. Duh.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Yeah, I know that. [Razz]

The problem is that I've got a few far-flung colony-cities, and I can either wait a very long time for the courthouses and police stations to build, or pay lots of money to hurry them up. And when you're fighting a war, you don't usually have the money to spare.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is AYBABTU... we might be able to get the joke then.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AYBABTU = All Your Base Are Belong To Us. As in the internet joke that went around a year ago. From the game Zero Wing. Where the translation from Japanese to English was crap, so every line of the intro movie was screwed up, and hence we get lines like All Your Base Are Belong To Us, Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb, and Move Zig, For Great Justice!

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps