Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Another death - this is getting depressing

Author Topic: Another death - this is getting depressing
StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was greeted with the news this morning that one of my cultrual icons hanged himself yesterday.

Screaming Lord Such (Spelling), the man who created the Monster Raving Loony Party (yes, that is an official British Political Party) is dead.........

I loved his Channel Tunnel to the Falkland Islands proposal (only some 3000 miles away from the UK) and under road crossing for hedgehogs were both wonderful ideas.

The man was mad - and now he is gone.

Watching elections will never be the same

RIP

------------------
---- AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!----

I feel better now.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmph. First I heard of the man. Sounds like an interesting person, though. Pity.

Of course, in the US we have our own Monster Raving Loony Party.. but we call it the Christian Coalition.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Feste
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is such terrible news. I've followed Lord Sutch's exploits for years. I loved his idea to have fish raised in lakes of wine so they'd already be marienated. Although the man is irreplaceable, I hope the Monster Raving Loony Party soldiers on.

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

IP: Logged
Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That man sounds like he was hilarious...

------------------
"You were right about the negotiations...they were short."
Obi-Wan Kenobi to QuiGon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damnation. Feels like the idea of Cleese dying. He sounds like my kind of raving loony!

------------------
"I have only one purpose, the destruction of Hitler.....If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourbale reference to the devil in the House of Commons".

-Winston Churchill

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please tell me this guy's ideas were in jest... *will be forever frightened of British politics now*

------------------
"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you."
-They Might Be Giants, "Critic Intro"

[This message was edited by TSN on June 17, 1999.]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

I like the idea of intentional looniness during election years. At least that way you have a clue who really knows what they're doing.

Unintentional political silliness is un-nerving to military folks, since it gives you an idea how clueless people who could send you to war might be.

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Man was very serious in his daft ideas - but really he got sick of the "stuffiness" which surrounded British Politics.
He thought that by being completely insane he could make people realise that the world should not only have seriousness, but humor as well.

The man was off his rockers and we all loved him.

He was also the Longest Standing Parlimentary Candidate - cant remember how much though....

Not surprisingly he DID get votes in By-elections though.......

Great Man - Sad Loss

------------------

I feel better now.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I only once heard about that party before, and it seems to me like a small joke that got way out of hand. But tell me, what's so strange about road crossings for hedgehogs? You don't have those in the Brit? OK, I mean road crossings for animals over motorways. You don't have them? Hm.

StationMaster
Member # 63

I think his plan was to build a tunnel for Hedgehogs every single mile of every single road in the UK.........

And yes - the monster raving loony party is a joke - but a very FUNNY one.....

------------------

I feel better now.

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Every mile? Well, if we confiscate the property of the %@#$ British royal family and invest in cheap tunnel builders it might just work..

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although thinking about it, we don't have animal crossings for animals over motorways. Why would we? Apart from in The Animals of Farthing Wood (one of the bloodiest cartoons the BBC ever did), animals are happy where they are. Cause I say so.

------------------
"In my defence that bush is actually quite big"
-M the F

RW
Member # 27

Well, considering their natural habitat was cruelly split in half when the road was constructed, I'd say no, they're not happy where they are. Populations of animals can easily be threatened this way. I remember the geography and biology lessons about this - because I was interested for once.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps