Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » White chocolate (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: White chocolate
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So would we all.
er..
*ahem*

White chocolate is the only kind that doesn't give my gf migraines. I, also, like it better.

There's a kind of honey-crisp thing surrounded by white choc. I can get at the local candy store that's pretty good. Also a kind with rasins.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I'm liking the chocolate-dipped fruit idea. Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, banana, and maybe apple and raisins... sound good?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
There's a kind of honey-crisp thing surrounded by white choc. I can get at the local candy store that's pretty good. Also a kind with rasins.

is the honey-crips thing triangular and called Toblerone?
IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh. I'm. . . not a big fan of white chocolate, really. I just don't see the point, it doesn't even taste like chocolate. And it's not helping that everyone has heard about the white chocolate and cookie ice cream, and anyone who comes to dinner has to have it. So far, having it with hot fudge sauce is working wonders.

But there's one thing about chocolate that you might be able to avoid using the white variant: it doesn't always go with other things. You think "chocolate is nice, spare ribs are nice, chocolate-coated spare ribs should be terrific!" Doesn't work. But maybe, since white chocolate doesn't taste like chocolate, it just might work. . .

*checks*

No, I'm not allowed to try it. Someone else is going to have to take that baton and run with it. 8)

I've actually had white chocolate-coated raisins (or sultanas). They were all right. Couldn't tell you how to make them, they came from the food court at Harrods.

If you want to try the fruit-dipping idea, it's not something you can do in advance. You're going to have to probably have the hot sauce there, dip the fruit, and pass it to her. You'll need skewers. If she lets you place a morsel directly between her teeth, you've pulled.

Now, the sauce. Where are you planning to do this, because if at all possible you'll need to keep the sauce hot. A fondue set perhaps, or one of those candle-heater thingies you get in Indian restaurants. You could find plain melted white chocolate to be too watery, and might want to consider making some sort of white chocolate fudge sauce; I tried it once without much success, I have to admit.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two options in mind: either do it the night before I give it to her, so it has time to dry; or do it right in front of her. In front of her would be a slight problem, becuase there may not be any place at the uni where there's a stove, at least that I can access. I suppose I could borrow a hot-plate. Or a fondue set, as Lee suggested. [Smile]

Then again, there's also this place called The Melting Pot. One of the more expensive places in town, but if you like fondue, they're the place to go. And I THINK they have white chocolate sauce. I could just take her there for dessert, I suppose...

*checks menu*

Hmm... $14 for enough chocolate to feed two people, with various fresh fruit and confections besides. Might make a worthy gift, if I can come up with enough of an excuse to take her downtown to keep it a surprise...

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nights in white chocolate, never reaching the end....
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the restaurant will have to be the way to go.

Here's why: pieces of fruit, cut anything up to 24 hours before (even longer if you stick to the original Christmas-present intention), then dipped in hot sauce and left to cool? Without even going into the health aspects, what state will the fruit be in by then? Those preservatives aren't there just to annoy organic-food nuts.

On the other hand, it depends what sort of message you're trying to send here. If you can work out a way to do it all yourself, you should. In going to a restaurant, you're going to a restaurant, that's a whole different message in itself. While if you do this the way you want to, the food is the message. If that makes sense. You don't take someone to a restaurant for the food.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...fruits I've dipped, never meaning to send....
Omega
Member # 91

Yeah, I'd prefer to do it myself. As I say, I'd probably buy everything immediately before making the stuff, and do it within eighteen hours of handing it to her, tops. Fruit can't go bad THAT fast, especially when it's not exposed to air.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

They shouldn't, some people I know keep them around for awhile, although they usually last no more than a week....

18 hours the fruit should still be crisp...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advice from someone who cooks: any time you try something new, PRACTICE beforehand. Things don't always come out the way you picture it.

--------------------
life creation in progress

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. My cabbage motorbike gets terrible miles to the litre

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. My cabbage motorbike gets terrible miles to the litre.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't that be horrible miles to the bushel or some other non-liquid measurement? Unless you cook cabbage really horribly...
Omega
Member # 91

I've actually done the whole dipping thing before. Made coconut bars once. Wasn't that bad, though the skewer idea would have made it way simpler...

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps