Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » $#%! Delivery Failure

Author Topic: $#%! Delivery Failure
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I've received two disturbing emails and I really don't know what the hell is going on. I'd like some advice from some knowledgable Internet gurus. (sp?)

The emails are below, I've removed my email address and substituted for reasons that will soon be clear.

Email one
Email two

In short, I'm getting emails that make it look like I tried to mail random Yahoo email addresses, but failed. Thus, I'm getting delivery failure emails. Obviously, I checked for viruses, trojans, etc, but I've gotten nothing. Besides, I already have email anti-virus protection...and the original email was sent while I was at work. Even more mysteriously, the original emails seem to have been sent with Eudora and AOL 7.0

Now the obvious conclusions, are either someone has hacked my email account and is using it to send spam, or someone is merely using my email address as the return address.

The question is, what the hell can I do about? Or can anyone figure out which of the ip addresses is the original sender? Ack! This is really annoying.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is your mailserver is acting up. Here's what I can make of the two encoded messages:

quote:
Other text Rxwu my name is Maggen. I saw yourprofile on internet. I am new to the area and am
looking for someone to show me around. Name0473 If you're interested in hanging out with
a cool girl send me {%crand1%} an email at [email protected] and we can chat on instant messenger.
Hope to hear from you soon!! Your text 9, note, maximum length of tag is 255 symbols
0 0
>
- _ _ -

Random word of BIG LETTERS with length 1 to 22 VWSQG

-Maggen

quote:
whats up? eudQOW--5765o Hi there, how's it going? Well for starters I must confess that this is indeed pretty awkward.
I onoticed your profile online and figured I'd drop ya a line....I bet that doesn't happen to you everyday! I never really even thought about it until someone saw mine and got in touch a little while back.
ANYWAY! My name iso Karan, I'm 23, and I'm a sale repo for a mid-sized pharmaceutical company. Goodness I can't get over how strange this is! I'm sure you're probably thinking the same thing! hehe.
Oh well, I really don't want to go on too faor. Especially since I'm not sure whether or not you have any intrest.
But if you would like to get to know more about me, please drop me a line. I'll be more than happy to include some pics as well.
Anything aobout you would be greatly apreciated as well :-) o
Well I hope to hear from you soon! Take care. K

xoxo,
Karan .....Random word of mixed symbols with length 1 to 27 38B5bbiV1pq4juHb7651073

P.S. Do you use any messenger services, maybe we can chat on there sometime? My email address is [email protected]
Random word of BIG LETTERS with length 1 to 22 FHBCQGUDNLE
Best regards,

K

Appears they originated elsewhere and are being dumped in your mailbox because it's the closest match to the delivery addresses.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks to me like your mail server is being used as a relay. Better get in touch with your ISP.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . also, I've never heard of a mail server that would send mail to the nearest match to an unknown account-name. . . Of course, most of my experience is with commercial/corporate mail setups, where badly-addressed mail is usually quarantined until it can be inspected by a member of the IT staff. Usually me. . . B(

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, I'm confused now.
My email address is under student.math.uwaterloo.ca This is a university based server. From my untrained eye, these delivery failures make it look like I am sending mail to Yahoo accounts but failing.

E. Cartmen: Do you mean my email address is the closest match to the originating address? And thus when the mails bounce, I get it because the originator is nowhere to be found?

Vogon: When you say its being used as a relay, is that just my account or the whole mail server? Does it mean someone has hacked my account and is using it to send mail?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds of an email annoyance I'm having right now. Some women at some company keeps trying to get me to switch hosting services for my website at frankg.dgne.com. They don't seem to grasp that I don't have a website at that address.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet Frank does. Facinating.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep on getting emails from some advertising agency that wants to advertise the ASDBoard at juno.dgne.com...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone harvested a bunch of email addresses from Frank's site. The spam I'm getting about moving his site are coming into my old university account, which is listed on Frank's SWDAO on the article I wrote for him. Stupid freakin' advertisers.
Lee
Member # 393

Oh, God, can someone explain using other's mail servers as a relay to Mukey? 'Cause I'm no good at the technobabble, I just fix the damn things.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

Hmmmm, do you mean something like
this?

Therefore, when the emails bounce they hit my account for some weird reason?

Lee
Member # 393

Yes, that's it. Sometimes the only way you can tell is by checking the error logs on the server as well, although usually you do get one or two bounced messages as a heads-up.

--------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. If anyone wants me to take their email address off any of my sites, just let me know. Actually, my regular email address has become so overrun with spam that I've turned off, so use the email form on my Web site (or better yet, IM me).

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps