Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » DVD Player question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DVD Player question
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having received a DVD player for christmas (YAY! [Big Grin] ), I am a little confused about something. OK, here it is;

My TV has a scart socket in the back which connects to the VCR and Hi-Fi unit. The VCR has a second scart socket which I've used to connect the DVD player. Now I can get sound and video from DVD to TV, but I can't get sound from DVD to Hi-Fi with the scart socket (in any configuration) - I have to pull the joint-cable out of the Hi-Fi (that is connected to the TV) and plug separate cables in from the DVD.

Q1) Is it me or is this just plain S-T-U-P-I-D?
Q2) Is there such a thing as a "cable socket spliter" that will allow me to have the scart cable from the TV and the audio cables from the DVD player plugged into the Hi-Fi at once?
Q3) Is there a way to tune the TV to the DVD player as I can only "pick-up" the transmission when on a blank channel?

Oh and it's a Cyberhome DVD402, but I'm not sure that that will help much . . .

I eagerly await your technical advice!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A1) No. The SCART system was developed primarily with image quality in mind, which was unbelievably sucky at the time. The audio department got short-changed somewhat, meaning that routing multiple channel digital encoded signals through a SCART cable results in considerable loss in quality -- see, there's method to this seperate cable madness. We're talking roughly a decade before the advent of DVD technology, though. Can't blame the designers for not taking current standards into consideration. Besides, the things had to be cheap.

A2) Not to my knowledge... but it's a minor inconvenience anyway.

A3) Since you've hooked up the DVD player to the TV *via* the VCR, any unoccupied (i.e. blank) channel will automatically broadcast its transmission. Not too elegant, but that's hardware logic for you.

[ December 30, 2002, 15:44: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your DVD image is going through your VCR then there's a good chance that the TV is receiving a combined (composite?) image, which is a bit of a waste. Plug the VCR into the second AV on your TV (if you have one), or just through the arial. Videos are shit anyway, so there's no real need to waste a nice SCART socket on one.

Plug the DVD directly into the TV< and make sure that the DVD player is turned to RGB mode. This broadcasts all the colours seperatly, and stops almost all colour bleeding.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh-huh, uh-huh and uh-huh. (Nods head as reads and understands each statement).

Many thanks! That clears a few things up.

HAPPY NEW YEAR MY FLARE FRIENDS!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this will help - and probably got your problem wrong anyway - but I used the rca cable (the round one with a little prong in the middle) for the Video and the red/white/yellow cable for the DVD.

Video is on video 1 channel DVD is on video 2 channel.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cable you called "RCA" is just a coax cable. I think it's also called "composite". An RCA cable is the the red/white/yellow one (also called "component", I believe).
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops sorry - ok what you said.

Round with prong and White/Red/Yellow

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And both of them are worse that a RGB SCART lead or a S-Video lead.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a SCART?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

It's a block shaped socket designed to get the best image quality. Therefore all the colours, sound channels and whatnot are carried seperatly. I don't think they have them on US TVs.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Never seen them on Australian TVs.

And what I'm using now gives pretty decent sound and picture quality.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Could be better though. [Smile] And I've come to the conclusion that SCART is a Europe only thing. It matches our PALness, or something.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the French use it, though?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes, although I think they call it Euroconnector.

Daft hairy things.

--------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew, they do have scart ports on some imported TV's. However you just plug in a converter to switch it to RCA.

Why use scart though, component or s-video gives a better image / sound combination.

Anyhoo.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps