Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hardware Problems

Author Topic: Hardware Problems
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having some difficulties with my TV Tuner card. I have an ATI TV Wonder, beyond that I don't know what it is. A friend gave it to me. Anyways, I installed all the drivers and installed all the software but when I try to open up the TV, it says it can't initialize the video. Anyone have any thoughts?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you plug in the cable? [Big Grin]

Kidding. But what video card are you using? I heard about ATI deliberately configuring their drivers to be compatible with only ATI cards.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
...ATI TV Wonder, ...

[Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother ahd the same problem when he first bought his system,It turns out his motherboard would not accept the tuner card. He had to go back to the place he bought the computer and get a different motherboard. Sorry, I don't know the type of mothervoard he had or the one he replaced it with.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

The card used to work...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this, in order of importance:

1) Close any and all programs that make use of overlay drivers (Netmeeting, Media Player, DVD utilities, video editing/conferencing software, the works)

2) Increase hardware acceleration to full (right-click on desktop, select Properties, hit Settings tab, press Advanced button, pick Troubleshooting bar, ensure that slider is set to maximum)

3) Reduce display resolution and/or color depth

4) Configure your graphics card to function as primary adapter (you'll need to delve into your system's BIOS)

5) Download latest drivers for both TV Tuner and VGA board

6) Update DirectX to version 8.1

[ February 21, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I'll have to try that... Although I don't know about getting updated drivers for my VGA board... Its probably all jumbled together with something else... Typical Compaq.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps