Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Computer Vid Card/Counter-Strike/and such (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Computer Vid Card/Counter-Strike/and such
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sniff* So what I was doing all of last night was an optical illusion? Actually, that might make me feel better considering how stupid the CS assignment was...but I digress.

See, you also have to consider cost/benefit.
Memory is pretty much the cheapest upgrade you can get now, especially for an older computer such as a PIII, which would only take normal SDRAM. For $50 (Canadian mind you) you can get like 256MB of RAM which would help with multitasking, games, anything.

A hard drive is going to be at least $100 and probably won't do anything for games.

A new CPU will most likely imply a new motherboard....and thus newer types of RAM....and then it would be a waste not to get a new graphics card.....so that could easily run you $1000+. As CC pointed out, you might as well get a new computer.

Just getting a new video card is an idea, but limiting yourself to PCI cards pretty much kills anything newer than 2 years. About all the local computer store has are:
ATI Radeon 7000 32MB for $84, 64MB versions for $98, ATI Radeon 7500 64MB Dual Display for $119, and Pine TNT2 M64 32MB for $50.

They should all be on the comparison graph that I posted earlier, except the TNT2 which falls off the bottom. So a realistic economic solution would be the ATI 7500 + two sticks of 256MB SDRAM, which would be 219 CDN or 144.54 USD. Thats about 16 hours of work at your Target job.

PS: I think UM noted that you can only get a max of 256MB RAM, which would translate into two 128MB sticks? That will drop you by $30 CDN...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps