Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Car Question

Author Topic: Car Question
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like help diagnosing a problem I'm having with my Jeep. I've already recieved two possible answers, but I'd like to get some more opinions.

When I first turn my car on for the day -- after its been idle for quite some time (as in, twelve hours or more), the engine will not turn over. Everything else will come on -- lights, radio, etc. But not the engine. After a few minutes, the engine will turn over, and I won't have any problem starting it for the rest of the day.

I've recently replaced the starter, alternator, *and* battery, and had an electronics systems check done yesterday which showed no problems with any of the electrical components of the vehicle.

The mechanics told me it might be a problem with the ignition switch.

A guy I work with (who is into fixing up cars) told me its probably the engine being too cold in the morning, and needing a few minutes before it is ready to start.

I have NEVER had this problem in the almost four years I've owned this Jeep. The first time I experienced this was Monday, then again on Wednesday, and then this afternoon.

Thanks for any input you can give.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have said it was the battery too, but since you said that checks out, I can't think of anything else but the starter.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably the cold. Mine has been doing the same this this winter. Previous winters here haven't been this cold (dunno about where you are) and it does take the car a bit to warm up. Espically as you put more miles on it.

Meanwhile, mine tends to start smoking a little when run for more than 30 minutes. Getting that checked out and am terrified of what it might be...

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume that you've checked to see that there aren't any deer body parts plugging up anything important under the bonnet?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its called the hood!
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check the spark plug wire attachments. When I mean check, I mean pull them & reattach them one at a time. Sometimes it's a loose connection, or they may need replacement. My 1984 Nissan Stanza had the same problem of not starting in rain. Replacement of wires solved problem.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you changed the solinoid? This brings in the contacts which bring power to the starter motor. If the solinoid is weak then the friction of the cold lubricant in the solinoid my be enough that it takes a while to come in. This may explain why it comes in after trying to start it a few times. The solinoid is a coil with an iron bar going through the centre, well if you keep applying power to the solinoid it will heat up just as any wire will if power is applied to it.Warm it up enough and the lubricants become more fluid and allow the bar to move, bringing in the contacts and your jeep starts.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered just getting rid of the Jeep? [Razz]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, for a variety of reasons. Assuming my finances pan out, I do plan on picking up a Hyundai Accent in the fall.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So did you get it fixed?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

No.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which means that in a few months, you'll have lots of little Jeeps rolling around. Be careful leaving your car in strange parking lots.

An Accent? I thought you were big on the whole "I can go more places than you in theory" thing. I'd expect a Santa Fe or a VUE or an Expedition or something.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'm keeping my Jeep.

In warm weather, I don't have a problem getting it started, so fixing this problem isn't a big priority for me.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps