Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I require emergency burner help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I require emergency burner help
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so, uh....yeah. Somehow I broke my roommate's CD burner. Without even touching it.

It worked fine a couple days ago & I'm not used it since.

I tried burning a new audio CD & it told me to insert a disc with sufficient space. But it was a 78-minute layout & an 80-minute disc. I tried 5 different discs to no avail.

Then I fiddled in Windows Explorer a bit. Windows sees the drive, the drive IS functional & there & is all "Hi! Here I am!" But when you put in a disc, then it goes, "What disc? What are you talking about? There's no disc in there you silly git."

So, uh...yeah. Any takers, hints, ideas? It uses the standard Windows ME CD driver...past that, I see no callouts to anything in an AUTOEXEC or CONFIG. In fact, CONFIG & the backup are empty.

And why doesn't WinME have the system editor anymore?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet you are tying to use disks that the drive can't read. I had the same problem with mine. Different disks have a different color marker at their inner most points. Some drives have a hard time with some of those colors. I had a whole stack of RW's that I couldn't use, managed to burn one of them but it refused the rest.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you don't understand. I even put in audio CDs--like ones you buy from a store--& they didn't work. I put in CDs that I'd burned on this computer & they didn't show up.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hit it! Hit it!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never trusted CD drives.. and I never will..
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way to fix these kind of problems is to hit it in that "special" way. Like the auto mechanics do when you're not looking, then charge you $500.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short of pulling the case off and making sure that all the cables are fine and fully inserted, I think the drive is pretty fucked.

Of course, I have no knowledge on which to base such a claim, but it strikes me as one of those physical problems that costs as much to repair as to replace. CD-writers are, what, $50 now? Get one, use the old one as a novelty toast spread, and let's hear no more about it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that happened to me.. i think the guy told me the drive was shot.. then he told me to calm down and that the laser he was talking about was nothing like the lasers in buck rogers..
Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use it as a beverage conveyance device!

I was surprised no one brought that up yet.

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless there's a specific and known problem with that brand of CD burner (which you didn't mention), I'd have to agree with everyone who said it's probably not feasible to repair.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old is the drive? If it's still under warranty, RMA it and get a new one.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Works for me. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Da_bang80
Member # 528

My new guide to life!

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps