Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » ITV news crew missing in Iraq (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ITV news crew missing in Iraq
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2875969.stm

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sucks. Hope they find them all right.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately it doesn't look good. Also, thre's possibility that it was an American tank that fired on them (in the paper so I can't link). Which, after this is very not good.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there are, counting the RAF plane, now 23 coalition casualties, is that right? Two of which have died in actual combat?
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...
quote:
At least 10 U.S. marines were killed in an ambush near the city of Nasiriya, and another dozen American soldiers were captured.
Still, the casualties from even the 'Toughest day of resistance" is still very minimal compared to say WWI/WWII/Vietnam, etc. For better or for worse, the Pentagon is probably getting the nice media friendly sanitized war it wants. Haven't read much about Iraqi casualties either, but if anyone has a link...feel free to share.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, previous news article.
When they say "an American soldier is suspected in the attack", is that a friendly fire incident, or someone going ballistic Timothy McVeigh style?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that's the guy that tossed something like four grenades into his own camp and opened fire on the other American troops. Definitely not "friendly fire".
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was he actually an American soldier or one of those contracted Kuwaiti individuals that were in camp?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

From what I've heard it was a US soldier.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soldier in custody.

quote:
The soldier in custody was identified as Sergeant Asan Akbar of the 326th Engineer Battalion. Fort Campbell spokesman George Heath said Akbar had not been charged with any crime. Heath did not release Akbar's hometown or say how long he had served in the military.

But Heath did say Akbar had been ''having what some might call an attitude problem.'' As a sergeant, Akbar commanded four to seven soldiers, Heath said.

Another Army spokesman, Max Blumenfeld, said the motive in the attack ''most likely was resentment.'' No further details were available

I heard a report earlier that he may have attacked because he was told he wouldn't be going into Iraq with the rest of his unit, for some reason.

And another report which said he was described by other soldiers as "acting strangely" and being very antiwar.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, being anti-war I would call strange behaviour for a soldier.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

He should have been in the navy and worked his way up to admiral.

It's a trap!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It must be kind of weird reading Something Awful from the Middle East.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's a trap" is Farkian in origin, I think.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps