Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why isn't "human" capitalized? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why isn't "human" capitalized?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: "Otherwise, it seems to be related to the word "earth", which means "dirt"."

Well, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. We are carbon based, Earth and earth do have some sensible connections,
established long before people knew about atoms and chemistry, which is nice.

As for "dirt", let me tell you carbon is one of the dirtiest things in existence.
Why just last month I got some black toner on me shirt when changing the cartridge on an office printer, that crap won't come off easily. *snarf*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's a real pain to remove diamond stains. [Smile]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although, last time I talked with a hewmon from anywhere else they were talking of moving back to Earth.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you didn't try to wash the toner off w/ warm water. Heat sets it.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calvin as Spiff capitalizes "Earthling" (at least when the text is printed and not inked in all-caps), which is what I'm sticking with.

And incidentally, since the subject of foreign things-used-in-lieu-of-proper-language was brought up again: in Finnish, there is no difference between "English" the nationality, "English" the language and "English" the descriptive adjective. None of them is capitalized in any context, even though "England" is. All are used as if simple adjectives. Which is just as well, since we don't say our equivalent of "English" when we mean the language. We say our equivalent of "England". That is, "Englanti" is the geopolitical entity, "englanti" is the language spoken thereabouts.

Where we got all that is a complete mystery, since most of our pretense for organized grammar and spelling rules comes from Germanic influences.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps