Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Toronto (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Toronto
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just watching a report on the extent of the SARS outbreak in the city. . . Hope anyone 'here' who's there is OK.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and if any of you do have SARS, please remember to take the time to tell us before you get any medical treatment.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True to its nature, the WHO is about psyched up for a pandemic now.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news for agorophobes.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*COUGH* *KAFF* *HACK* *SPIT* *HURL* *HACK* *COUGH* *UUGKKH* *COUGH* *HACK* *SPIT* *HURL* *HACK* *COUGH* *COUGH* *KAFF* *HACK* *SPIT* *HURL* *HACK* *COUGH*

I'm here, barely.

Funny thing is, I live down the street from the hospital where the first infections occurred. I've had a nasty cough for about three weeks now, but temp is fine and I have no trouble breathing.

I don't like the idea of the WHO and the CDC saying that Toronto is a hotbed of infection. Every case so far can be traced back to the original infection. The problem is, people are breaking orders for quarantines because they have to work and have no financial redress from their employers or their governments. And some people are just plain idiots even when they know they are at risk for infection.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some fucking moronic doctor decided to fly back to Baltimore, even though he was exhibiting some of the symptoms. Twat. Oh well, he's spending the next two-weeks in a pressure room at Johns Hopkins.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick-ASS.

This announcement makes moving back to Mississauga from the relative safety of Waterloo, so much more fun.
If I get SARS in the next four months (working in Toronto for this co-op term). I'm sure you people will be among the first ten thousand people to find out [Smile]

*cough*

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a lot of people from Toronto, well, Canada in general, here where I work, and it has cuased me some thought. I am thinking about telling my boss I need a pay raise for hazardous duty. If I ask for a mask he'll by cheaply made cheese clothe and call it good.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way the British Government is refusing to test people coming off planes from Toronto, saying it should be the responsibility of the authorities at the point of origin. Or, in other words, "we can't be bothered."

But think about it - what's the incubation period for the bug, the amount of time before symptoms appear? Because if it's more than about 7-8 hours, a rough guesstimate of the flight time from Toronto to Heathrow, surely letting an infected person into an enclosed tube with several hundred other people all breathing the same air (I know they haven't positively identifed the bug as airborne-transmitted, but it's still a viable hypothesis at this point) who aren't going to be showing any signs of increased tmperature when they arrive should they be infected in-flight. . . It just seems a bit daft to me.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could still probably find it in the bloodstream, dorment or not.
Lee
Member # 393

Well, yes, but the point is they're mainly watching for the bug by taking people's temperatures.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incubation period is within ten days. This is why health officials are enforcing a ten-day quarantine.

It appears the WHO has it all wrong. There has never been an epidemic increase of SARS cases in Toronto. Slowly but surely, due to diligence in our hospitals, the number affected is slowly decreasing.

If anything, any travel advisory should be directed at China. The thing is, China actually COVERED UP the SARS outbreak (revealing only half its cases), whereas we reported it openly.

Total toll right now: 16 dead, 261 affected. In a metropolis of 3.5 million. All 16 dead are linked to the original cluster, and had pre-existing medical conditions.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the total toll internationally?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
235 dead, 4,000+ infected as of yesterday, according to this article: China closes schools in Beijing as Sars world death toll hits 235.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprisingly, there hasn't been a single case of SARS in SJ yet. I say surprisingly because SJ has a resident population of a few thousand Asian students, a large amount of them from China. They frequently travel to and from China throughout the school year. They've been keeping a close eye on them at the uni, I think.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps