Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Computer Upgrade (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Computer Upgrade
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're comparing with the first system, the changes are really minimal.
The only glaring problem is the fact that your RAM speed doesn't match the FSB of your CPU, making the extra money you're investing for the 333FSB useless.

You also have a really icky combination of an ECS board and a SiS motherboard chipset. I'm an ATI fan, but Nvidia really does make kickass motherboard chipsets....combine that with Asus and booyah!

The rest is just personal taste, you've skimped on the monitor (getting once 2 inches smaller) and dropped the printer, tv tuner card, and the stylish aluminum case [Wink] All of that is transferred into the processor and video card. *shrug*

The rest of the difference is probably higher Canadian taxes.

My second quote is really more of a novelty act with a mini-PC case and LCD monitor.

PS: I might also note that the onboard sound on the Asus A7N8X is probably better than your card, or any Creative Labs card lower than an Audigy 2. Plus it has two onboard NICs.
More to the point, they both come with the board potentially saving you $120 or more...which is good for a student budget.

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hum... Ok. Thanks for the input. I will have to do some more research before I go shopping. THX!

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just going back a bit...for info

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Thinking about it, can this computer take XP?

I run xp pro on an old Pentium 200 with mmx and 128MB of ram... It takes up a third of the hard drive...but it works fine. I needed to learn how to support xp over a weekend and it was the only machine I had available. Its a very reliable little beastie.

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh..and i'm selling it if anyone wants it! *g*

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck!!!

Beastie? More like "dying wimp". [Razz]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Beastie? More like "dying wimp". [Razz]

I still remember when I was working at the videogame company and they got all us level designers top-of-the-line Pentium 200s (w/MMX) and we were incredibly stoked because they were SO kickass! Dating myself here, aren't I?

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps