Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » (Another) Hardware question. Woo.

Author Topic: (Another) Hardware question. Woo.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a new motherboard and CPU combination the other day, and plugged everything in. It worked (eventually). I decided to check and make sure everything was running. Sure enough, the new CPU seemed to be working. Everything was fine, apart from the hard drive, a Maxtor 6Y060L0.

I benchmarked the hard drive, and it came out at around 20,000 kb/s. This was roughly equivalent to an ATA 100 5,400 rpm model, apparently. The only thing about that is that it's a 7,200 rpm ATA 133 model. The motherboard is capable of running ATA 133, the hard drive is capable of running ATA 133, I bought an ATA 133 cable. I have DMA turned on in the BIOS, and according to Windows XP, it's running on Ultra DMA Mode 5.

Why isn't it faster? Why? For the love of god, why?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you plug it in?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's running on the wrong side of the bus.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what that means. It's in IDE socket 0 on the motherboard (the one the manual told me to plug it in to), and it's configured as the master and all that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, what motherboard and what are you using to benchmark the drive? Are you comparing read performance or burst performance?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

The motherboard is an ASRock K7VT2, with a 2400+ Athalon and 256 of DDR memory.

I used S.A.N.D.R.A. to benchmark the drive. Is there any ither software you'd recommend? I tried using the Powermax utility that's on the Maxtor web-site, but that couldn't even find the drive.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmm, I tried the same thing with a Matrox 6L060J3 (a 60GB drive, also with ATA 133) and I'm getting pretty much the same results, 21 MB/s with Windows cache, 20MB/s without. My guess is that the projections they use are overly optimistic. Also on their help page,
quote:
Q: My drive/RAID array is in ATA133 mode but gets no better performance than ATA100 mode!
A: Most PCI33 interfaces are limited to ~90MB/s due to bus contention and overheads. PCI 64-bit/66MHz/X adapters are recommended to get the best of the ATA interface.

*shrug*

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps