Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Website Screenshots Requested (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Website Screenshots Requested
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently in the process of building a new website for my father's business. I'm only an amateur as far as the professional world is concerned, but I figured that I knew enough to set up a modest (but decent) site.

However, I may have set the bar a bit too high... when I started planning the site, I decided that I wanted to use only the latest standard formats -- XHTML 1 and CSS2. Only... I've never done a site with such relatively restrictive requirements -- at least, nothing with the relatively complex layouts as I've tried.

Anyway, I think I've finally figured out how things need to be set up. But I could use some help in making sure it works properly across all browsers.

Could you guys please take some screenshots of this page and e-mail them (and your system/browser configuration) to me?

http://ttc.st-minutiae.com/index.xhtml

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See your mail.
Browser was Mozilla 1.4RC running at 1280x1024

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a grand tree... was it 200 years old!?! What were the fates of the other 12 trees?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm told that there was no way to tell for certain, because the inside of the tree was almost completely rotted away... but the best estimate my dad made is between 450 and 500 years old!

The Maryland tree was the last of the 13 left standing... And probably the only reason it lasted so long was because they poured concrete into the cavity where the trunk had rotted away -- meaning a six-foot diameter concrete column at the center of the tree.

Thanks for the shots so far. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hangon - doesn't your site say they were planeted in commemoratin of the founding of each of the first 13 states? That's was 226 years ago wasn't it?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Hangon - doesn't your site say they were planeted in commemoratin of the founding of each of the first 13 states? That's was 226 years ago wasn't it?

OK - just checked - it didn't. Did they just choose a 'liberty tree' at random? It wasn't actually planted?

Oh and my screen size/resolution was 1024x768

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

http://ttc.st-minutiae.com/reports/liberty_tree.pdf
http://www.tree-tech.com/reports/liberty_tree.pdf (link for later reference, invalid before about 6/13/03)

You can read this for some of those details. [Smile]

Basically, the Liberty Trees were existing trees at the time independence was declared. Most were chosen in the state capitals, of various species, many chosen for being the place where the Declaration of Independence was first read there. And of course, as meeting places, the bigger trees were good candidates anyway -- trees that were already at least a few decades old, most likely.

--------------------

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent you a shot...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly enough, I found this. ANd then there's the Charter Oak.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Interesting link for the Maryland Liberty Tree. A couple of updates/corrections, according to my dad:

-- The project to clone the tree failed. It probably didn't work because of the time of year in which the cell samples were taken (late fall), when the wood and cells were hardened for the winter.

-- After the tree was cut down, some guy took pieces of the wood and used them to make a "special" series of guitars. My dad says the wood of a Tuliptree is not good for that purpose. [Wink]

-- Despite what the MD news article says, the Liberty Trees were *not* planted by the Sons of Liberty. They were preexisting trees that were chosen as meeting places, like I said above. The Maryland tree was between 250 years (some low estimates) and 500 years (my dad's estimate) old.

Thanks for the screen shots!

If someone has an earlier version of a browser -- not necessarily too likely, considering the technical know-how generally prevalent here -- that could be useful.

I've got shots from IE6 and Mozilla 1.4, so I don't need any more there... Some shots from IE5 and NS6 or NS7 would be nice, if someone uses that. [Smile]

Needed info for further shots:
    -- Platform (Win/Mac)
    -- Browser (Name/Version #)
    -- Screen resolution

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

*bump*

I just thought I'd toot my own horn here and announce that the job is finished. The final version of the all-new Tree Tech Consulting website is now uploaded, configured, registered, and open for business!

Aside from my own personal stuff, this was the first web design project that I've ever done on a serious basis. I've been toying with the idea of going into web design as a career... given the results of this semi-professional project, I think I've got some good starting points!

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] "Page cannot be displayed"

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I just clicked the link myself -- the site's up and fully operational.

What kind of message are you getting? What browser are you using? The site uses validated XHTML 1.0 Transitional code... if you're browser's more than about 2 years old, it may choke on the page.

Which is just a sign that you need a newer browser. [Razz]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Oh, and are you following the PROPER LINK? I took down the testing subdomain files this afternoon -- since the site went live, there's no need for testing! [Razz]

http://www.tree-tech.com/

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It degrades nicely in NS4...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps