Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Astrophysics question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Astrophysics question
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This'll probably sound quite stupid to those of you who know about this sort of thing but I'll ask anyway...

Why do objects such as planets orbit the sun rather than just falling into it?

Thanks.

[ June 07, 2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Wraith ]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Earth is always falling towards the sun. It's just that the Earth has such a high velocity in a direction perpendicular to that of the pull of the sun that it keeps missing it. That's how orbits work.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, let me say the idiotic answer before some religous nut chimes in: "Because God makes it so".
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
There! Now we can really discuss the beguiling effects of planetary gravitation.

Newton explained that the gravitational force between two objects depended on the mass of each object and the distance between them. The greater each object's mass, the stronger the pull, but the greater the distance, the weaker the pull.
Our solar system is a balance of objects of differing masses moving at differing velocity around the sun (the single largest mass in the solar system).
The second largest masses in the system (Jupiter and Saturn) have small sub-systems of moons and debris orbiting them in much the same way.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All celestial bodies follow the curvature of spacetime, which we perceive as gravity.

Newton and everyone else, pre-1915: "huh?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of Einstein's theories were based on principles Newton put to paper.
Even now many of Einstein's theories are under debate while most of Newtons remain immutable.

Gravitation is one of the few subjects that will be under scrutint as to it's Mechanics long after we're all dead.
If that's any consolation... [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, Einstein stood on the shoulders of giants, but so did Newton. Doesn't matter, they both have their place in history, and wether Newton's mechanics will outlive Einstein's GRT is hardly a measure of individual greatness, anyway.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Agreed.
It still leaves the ever-pending questions of gravity's origin and true nature hanging.
We can measure it's effects on both energy and matter but we still don't understand it's relationship to the universe's mechanics any more than Newton did.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

Nah... but we're at the border of a whole new domain of physics, combining QM and GRT to give us insights on the guts of the universe that neither Newton nor Einstein could have possibly imagined. The nature of gravity has, I think, only a centuries' worth of mystery in it left.

[ June 07, 2003, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or to make the theory of relativity even more confusing, objects ALWAYS travel in a straight line... it just appears to be a curved line to us because of our point of view. We can't PERCEIVE the curvature of space-time.

Confused enough yet? [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to throw a wrench into this, Why then is the moon moving farther away from the earth all the time?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Cartman
Member # 256

Tidal friction. Because the side of the Earth that faces the moon is closer, it feels a stronger gravitational pull than the Earth's center. Similarly, the part of the Earth facing away from the moon feels less gravity. This distorts the planet's actual solid body a few centimeters, making it oblong. The parts that stick out are tidal, erh, bulges.

Now, mass produces a gravitational force, so those tidal bulges exert a tiny pull on the moon... but because the Earth rotates (much) faster than the moon orbits around it, they also "speed up" the moon by tugging it ahead slightly. Conversely, the moon slows the Earth's rotation - hence tidal movement. To cut a looong story short: the process takes kinetic energy from the Earth (through friction) and puts it into the moon, gradually stretching its orbit.

[ June 07, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone, I figured it was something like that. Well, sort of. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
[QB] Tidal friction. Because the side of the Earth that faces the moon is closer, it feels a stronger gravitational pull than the Earth's center. Similarly, the part of the Earth facing away from the moon feels less gravity. This distorts the planet's actual solid body a few centimeters, making it oblong. The parts that stick out are tidal, erh, bulges.

Ohhhh...Lunar gravitation is fun!
To really fire your neurons, imagine poor Europa and Ganeymede being constatntly contracted and pulled by Jupiter's immense gravity until their internal tempature rises from tectonic friction.
That's why there is the remote possiblity of life existing on icey Europa: internal tempatures may have led to a liquid ocean under all that ice. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Poor" Europa and Ganymede? Don't let Io hear you say that...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

How 'bout "lonely and isolated" Europa and Ganeymede?

"Barren and sterile"?

"remote and unknowable"

"Frozen and oppressed"?

I could go on and on, but you see the danger of personalizing a celestial body...unless it's Lucy Lu (drool).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps