Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » XP update corrupt (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: XP update corrupt
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I don't know if this will affect everyone - but my computer uploaded and installed the latest XP update on my computer last night - and it is STUFFED UP!

Luckily it didn't fuck my whole computer up like the one did at the end of last year.

FYI it is the Windows XP Q328310 update.

If anyone knows how/could tell Micrococksoft could you?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't do the Windows update things... But my girlfriend just installed an update today on her computer. Hmm.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew, did you by any chance install the update that got pulled from the Microsoft site two weeks ago, too? [Big Grin] [Razz]

Microsoft SO needs to beta-test its software updates before they release them...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BETA test them? They need to ALPHA test them!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, I'm afraid I don't know anything about that update. I'm not even sure if I downloaded that one. Regardless, I did run into a problem earlier this week with the XP driver update for displays from Intel. I had to hook up my backup monitor in order to do a system restore.

Have you tried doing a system restore to the time just before you did your Windows update? In my experience, a restore is created just before the updates are downloaded.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said the computer is set to notify and download the new updates - I don't actively seek them out. So I don't know if it was a pulled update.

Luckily this one wasn't as bad as the one in December which ruined my whole computer and it had to be wiped... a month after getting it!!

The restore function DIDN'T WORK. Do they ever? I don't know.

The last one would even allow me to enter XP in safe mode... at least I could this time around. I used up all my CD-Rs and one CD-RW to put on all my recently downloaded videos and music files. then I defragged the computer and the did a disk clean. Then I removed the most recent update. Everything went back to how it was - which was lucky *touch wood*.

LOL! I just got a prompt then to download the newest up-date!! Bloody Micrococks.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, tighten XP's leash. You control the OS, not the other way around, dammit. Spank it!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can turn off automatic updating easily. Right click on My Computer, select "Properties", and go to the "Automatic Update" tab. And turn it off.

Regardless of all these horror stories though, it's still a good idea to do most of the updates. Sure, 99% of them are Microsoft fixing holes that have been discovered in XP, but they are at least fixing them. And if more people had actually downloaded their updates several years ago, then that bloody virus-whose-name-I-forget wouldn't have spread over half the world.

Oh, and yeah, System Restore always creates a new restore point when you download an update, so there shouldn't have been a reason why you couldn't have gone back to that point.

And this has happened twice now? Are you sure your Windows installation isn't a bit...fucked up?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I've turned it off - and I'll download them manually.

It's not just me - the first one I rang the place I purchased the computer from and they had about 50 phonecalls that morning... on a Saturday - and more on the Monday - that one stuffed up the computer so everytime it got to the Windows load up screen - it would restart the computer.

This second one - I rang a 'help line' out of worry (that the same thing would happen as it did in December) and that I didn't know what the next step to take was. I told him which update and he said that they had received a number of problems with people who had downloaded that update. So it's not just me.

System restore points may have been created... but each time I tried one - the computer would restart and it would say that the (in my words) the restore didn't take hold so it was cancelled.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple's Software Update will start up automatically (if that's the preference you choose), but it will never start downloading and installing an update before you click "OK."

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at my own Software Update logs... Looking at this list, I realize that half of these updates are just feature and application enhancements, rather than whole system updates or security patches... [Razz]
quote:
Saturday, November 09, 2002 22:25:43 US/Eastern: Installed "AirPort Software" (2.1.1)
Saturday, November 09, 2002 22:25:50 US/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2002-09-20" (1.0)
Saturday, November 09, 2002 22:26:18 US/Eastern: Installed "Internet Explorer 5.2 Security Update" (5.2.2)
Saturday, November 09, 2002 22:26:32 US/Eastern: Installed "StuffIt Expander Security Update" (7.0)
Saturday, November 09, 2002 22:27:29 US/Eastern: Installed "QuickTime" (6.0.2)
Saturday, November 09, 2002 22:28:37 US/Eastern: Installed "iTunes" (3.0.1)
Saturday, November 09, 2002 22:34:55 US/Eastern: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.2.1)
Monday, November 11, 2002 19:34:52 US/Eastern: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.2.2)
Friday, November 22, 2002 19:28:51 US/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2002-11-21" (1.0)
Friday, December 06, 2002 22:52:11 US/Eastern: Installed "Carbon Sound Manager Update" (6.0.2)
Saturday, December 14, 2002 13:51:31 US/Eastern: Installed "iPod Software" (1.2.1)
Friday, December 20, 2002 04:29:20 US/Eastern: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.2.3)
Sunday, January 12, 2003 22:37:26 US/Eastern: Installed "QuickTime" (6.1)
Thursday, February 13, 2003 20:58:33 US/Eastern: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.2.4)
Sunday, March 02, 2003 19:54:32 US/Eastern: Installed "Keynote Update" (1.0.1)
Monday, March 03, 2003 21:49:35 US/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2003-03-03" (1.0)
Thursday, March 06, 2003 21:55:33 US/Eastern: Installed "iMovie" (3.0.2)
Tuesday, March 11, 2003 18:20:05 US/Eastern: Installed "Java" (1.4.1)
Monday, March 24, 2003 21:25:40 US/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2003-03-24" (1.0)
Tuesday, April 01, 2003 02:02:58 US/Eastern: Installed "QuickTime" (6.1.1)
Thursday, April 10, 2003 17:08:37 US/Eastern: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.2.5)
Monday, April 14, 2003 09:22:19 US/Eastern: Installed "Safari Update" (1.0 Beta 2 (v73))
Sunday, April 27, 2003 14:17:43 US/Eastern: Installed "AirPort Software" (3.0.4)
Tuesday, April 29, 2003 15:33:07 US/Eastern: Installed "iPod Software" (1.3)
Wednesday, May 07, 2003 01:10:00 US/Eastern: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.2.6)
Thursday, May 15, 2003 16:38:47 US/Eastern: Installed "Safari Update" (1.0 Beta 2 (v74))
Wednesday, May 28, 2003 00:07:36 US/Eastern: Installed "iTunes" (4.0.1)
Tuesday, June 03, 2003 21:26:25 US/Eastern: Installed "Bluetooth Software" (1.2.1)
Tuesday, June 03, 2003 21:40:15 US/Eastern: Installed "QuickTime" (6.3)
Wednesday, June 04, 2003 13:28:42 US/Eastern: Installed "Keynote Update" (1.1)
Wednesday, June 04, 2003 18:39:25 US/Eastern: Installed "iMovie" (3.0.3)

I did a wipe and install of my hard drive back in early November, because I'd decided that I didn't want or need any of the partitions that I'd set up when I first formatted my computer anymore. So that's why there's a whole slew of updates on November 9. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, how do you know that those "feature an application enhancements" aren't just security patches?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or deenhancements, as the case may be.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Sorry, I probably didn't make my self clear... There is a feature that will let the computer download and install the updates by itself. I think there's a big problem when businesses with a few computers are set up that way... that's what happened on that MAJOR corruption back in November - according to the guy who runs the shop where I bought my computer from. He had a big call out that Monday to go and fix a whole company's worth of computers because of Microsofts ineptitude.

--------------------

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but I've been dl-ing all the updates when prompted, and I haven't had any problems like you've described. This is the first I've heard about "corrupt updates".

(Running XP, btw...)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Maybe it's that I'm in Australia and they might load their new updates in the early morning - just when I'm probably on the computer the most (our day). That means we might end up being the 'alpha testers' for Micro$hite? By the time everyone is up 'round America the next day - it has been checked and fixed.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps