Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Klingon Invasion of Oregon

Author Topic: Klingon Invasion of Oregon
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not the latest ENT plot but something far more disturbing...

-

[ June 15, 2003, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: Wraith ]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are the "klingons invading Florida"?
The job position was in Portland: Thhe Florida Sun Sentinel just ran that particular article.

The job posting was retracted a while back too. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly I'm not surprised. I mean, who says that a new language can't develop in this day and age. Given it usually takes a long time for a lanuguage to take it's present form. If people actually want to talk Klingon then good for them. It just shows that Roddenbury actually did his english homework.

Just don't expect everyone else to understand.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roddenberry didn't develop the language...Okrand invented it...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they should hire a translator to figure out the gibberish of the 1337! instead? [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But, [Franna Hathaway] adds, 'There are some cases where we've had mental health patients where [Klingon] was all they would speak.'

"Jelusich says that in reality, no patient has yet tried to communicate in Klingon."

So, which is it?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klingon certainly does not have a word for Cornnuts, though.

And also, Harry won the game.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"But, [Franna Hathaway] adds, 'There are some cases where we've had mental health patients where [Klingon] was all they would speak.'

"Jelusich says that in reality, no patient has yet tried to communicate in Klingon."

So, which is it?

What I've seen reported is that a rep for Portland's mental health system said the were going to use their increased budget to hire translators to communicate with paitents that can't speak English "even if they're speaking Klingon".
Somebody (likely a reporter) mis-quoted him and ran the initial story that was picked up by news wire services.
Probably cost that rep his job too from all this bad press. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that article in our paper too... although they added that there was a child in the movie "Daddy Day Care" that only spoke Klingon - is that true? I'm not going to see the movie.

BTW - it was Jimmy Doohan that invented Klingon (well sounds and ??symbols??) Okrand rather cleverly took what had been established as 'canon' in TMP and built a language out from that.

I wonder why Vulcan didn't take off either? He also did Vulcan with it having to fit the lips of Spock and Saavik. I never noticed until I read it on the net.

And his interview in STIII SE dvd is tres interestment!

[Smile]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't a language have to have a significant minimum number of speakers who are dedicated and speak it all the time for it to be considered "not dead", though? Or that it has to be an official language of a state somewhere?

I mean, I can imagine there are some people on this planet that still speak solely latin out somewhere in the woods, for some excentric reason, but that doesn't change the fact that it's dead.

Elvish, klingon, bocce, all fun and nifty stough, but unless some psychopath fans buy an island and proclaim draconian laws of linguism upon their colonists, they're little more than highly clever and thorough experiments.

*hopes he hasn't given anyone any ideas*

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Elvish, klingon, bocce
you forgot Welsh.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a whole article on "Let's talk Klingon" in Special Collectors Edition: Star Trek 30 Years about it.

Just some notes from it (some of the numbers are probably outdated as the article is almost 7 years old):

• "The Klingon Dictionary" was first published in 1985.
  • The first Klingon language camp occurred on Aug. 15 1993 in Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, it lasted 2 weeks.
  • As of this publishing, they had translated the Bible, the Gospel and in early 1996 the Klingon Language Institute turned out 1,000 hard-bound copies of Hamlet.
  • The Klingon Language Institute is based in Flourtown, Pennsylvania and has more than 1,000 members throughout 30 countries, including the U.K., Canada, Brazil and Australia.

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
BTW - it was Jimmy Doohan that invented Klingon (well sounds and ??symbols??) Okrand rather cleverly took what had been established as 'canon' in TMP and built a language out from that.

It seems to be an unintentionally combined effort, the story goes:

quote:

The foundation of what Klingon character actors and fans say- and how they speak Klingon- is rooted, however, not in Okrand's linguistic inventions but in those of James Doohan. The original series actor...actually created the first lines of Klingon for TMP. Doohan thought it would be fun to create a dialogue which "sounded weird and otherworldly," and tape recorded his work. The tape was given to Mark Lenard...who...phonetically transcribed Doohan's 'otherworldly' dialogue for his role as a Klingon in the opening scenes of TMP. Miraculously, Lenard still had those transcripts a few years later when he was asked to play Sarek in STIII, for which Okrand was asked to create a true, working Klingon language.

Okrand wasn't aware of Doohan's involvement in the Klingon language for TMP. Okrand had simply watched the film, then had made his own phonetic transcriptions as the basis for his STIII assignment. The resulting language, which today is known as tlhIngan Hol (or "official Klingon" among fans), was derived from the influences of his studies of American Indian, Chinese and Southeast Asian languages. It was only after Okrand sent his Klingon dialogue to Hollywood that he encountered Lenard on the STIII set and was shown the actor's first set of transcripts. The two found that their interpretations of Doohan's words were very similar.

Okrand later went on to obviously write the Klingon Dictionary and other various related things. He is, however, not fluent in it as-so-much-as being able to carry a conversation in it.

Also in the article, there is mention of a second, fan-driven Klingon language developed with its own followers and practitioners called klingonaase.

So yeah, what did we learn here? People in the MidWest need to get a life! Damn establishers of Klingon language camps and Institutes!!! [Razz]

So despite being a MidWesterner myself, I don't feel so bad about being a modest closet Trek-fan or having my "Spock Rocks" window sticker on my car and being made fun of for it all by my dad, because it could be a lot worse: I could be one of those kind of Trek fans. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps