Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I Need a Day Off (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I Need a Day Off
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember what happened two years ago, when I went back to work at Manhattan Bagel. I'd originally worked there during high school summers for the cash, and got along pretty well with the owner/manager -- who loved me because I was much more conscientious than the usual crop of losers that he ended up hiring for the most part. (There were some decent people there, too, of course.)

Anyway, in July 2001 I decided to go back there and ask for my job back (I'd quit to go to college), and he happily accepted.

The owner was going on a vacation -- his first in five years, because he worked there 7 days a week, usually betwen 10 and 14 hours per day. Because I liked him personally and was willing to help out, I agreed to his request that I do the night shift, baking bagels for the wholesale orders -- keeping the keys, basically, since the baker he'd hired at the time was on a work-release program from prison. (Go figure.) Anyway, that worked out -- I was waking up at 11:30 PM, working until 7:00 AM, then sleeping most of the day away because the schedule completely f*cked up my sleep pattern.

But did I get to stop doing the night shift after that week? No, of course not! Just a few days after the boss got back, the baker decided to quit. And with no one else to turn to -- especially no one else with experience at already doing the night shift -- I got to help out there again. For the next four weeks. And I ended up working 22 days without a day off -- probably 75% of those days on the night shift.

So yeah, I know that feeling. And I can assure you that I am DAMN protective of my time after THAT experience!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Night shifts are annoying, especially when my girlfriend works days. Also, when there's hardly any customers, it gets lonely. I start talking to the walls...

...and sometimes they talk back... [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done the two job/full time college gig and it got me into trouble. So I cut back. Now I'm doing the weekdays are for classes and weekends are for work gig. Suits me fine, but the pay is crap. So, I dig out the want ads. Which brings me to today...

Actually, I have an interview Tuesday which might just pull me out of retail hell forever. And it might also end up being my (required)internship...a paid internship. Me likes.

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps