Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ethical Dilemma Topics for Paper (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ethical Dilemma Topics for Paper
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that one Wraith.

In fact, you could do a comparison. I know of one company who was struggling pretty bad and the CEO decided to give up his yearly salary to acknowledge that fact. And of course, there are many more in which other CEOs take home rich pay while other lower employees are laid off.....

I think there was extensive coverage of the CEO who gave up his salary, don't know which company or who the guy is.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there was a company (I think it was GlaxoSmithKline) whose shareholders revolted and voted down giving a huge bonus to the CEO when profits had been falling.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that one. This CEO voluntarily gave up his salary, bonus and all. His hand wasn't forced.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*raises hand* Just out of curiousity, is the purpose of this thread just to help Shik help the said cute girl and score points?

*gets shot*

Here's another ethical ones: companies selling their clean-air credits to other companies that generate more pollution. Exploiting loopholes in environmental laws, or just another business deal?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Shh!!!!

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A registered sex offender scoring points with ze ladies? Nah, couldn't be. 8)
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to be pedantic, but most of the things mentioned in this thread aren't "ethical dilemmas" at all.

An ethical dilemma would be something along the lines of "If we do something unethical, something good will come of it, but if we don't do it, and stay ethical, something bad will happen".

Merely discussing examples of companies that have been unethical (Halliburton, Enron etc.) doesn't really answer the question.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK then... G.S.T.

People in Ostraya, Canadia and the land of the long white sheep can debate the pros and cons of a Goods and Services tax.

Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Saltah'na
Member # 33

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
I hate to be pedantic, but most of the things mentioned in this thread aren't "ethical dilemmas" at all.

An ethical dilemma would be something along the lines of "If we do something unethical, something good will come of it, but if we don't do it, and stay ethical, something bad will happen".

Merely discussing examples of companies that have been unethical (Halliburton, Enron etc.) doesn't really answer the question.

It depends on who you are. For Halliburton and Enron, they may want to do unethical things and the good that comes out of it is money for the CEOs and shareholders. If they stay ethical, then they risk being run roughshod by the competition.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps