Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Outhouse Springs

Author Topic: Outhouse Springs
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently while driving around Allentown, PA where I live, I have noticed some unusual billboards popping up along the highways, and in great numbers. The billboards are all for a new product called Outhouse Springs, a brand of drinking water. However, the billboards are, as I said...unusual. Here's what a few say:

"Outhouse Springs: We're #1 In #2!"
"Outhouse Springs: L-M-N-O-*bottle of the water*"
"Outhouse Springs: Truely Tasteless Water"
"Outhouse Springs: Bottling water at 98.6 degrees in small batches"

The billboards all basically look the same, and they all feature a bottle with a literal outhouse on the logo with some flowers. To put it simply, people are supposed to assume Outhouse Springs Water is nothing more then recycled human waste!

-

Except it's fake.

Adam's Outdoor Advertising, a billboard company based in the south, is to blame for this. The Outhouse Springs billboards first started popping up in Charleston, South Carolina before moving to Allentown, Pennsylvania (where Adam's has a local office), and have now apparently spread out into the midwest (reports of them in Madison, Wisconsin have been found). Adam's also went so far as to send what looked like actual bottles of Outhouse Springs water to the local media (including our own Morning Call). To add to the effect, they came wrapped in toilet paper. Adam's claimed that the makers of the water were merely testing it out, yet wanted to remain anonymous.

Soon, people were talking about what this mysterious new disgusting water was, and actually where to get some. And so the media was hounded and South Carolina newspapers and our own Morning Call actually ran an article.

So, what's the reasoning for this? Adam's Outdoor Advertising bought up disused billboards and put these ads up merely to show off the power of billboards to marketers. And they worked. People saw these billboards and obviously payed attention to them, so they became popular. Adam's did this just so they can go to clients and tell them that they should pay for billboards, and they have the numbers to prove it with this Outhouse Springs deal. So the entire thing was a marketing coup by Adam's to increase their business.

And quite frankly I think its a damn good, and hilarious idea.

In case you're still wondering, no, there is no real Outhouse Springs (although a few bottles were made to give to the media and to show off, but they're just normal water with changed labels).

www.outhousesprings.com

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And quite frankly I think its a damn good, and hilarious idea."

From the point of view of someone selling billboard space, I suppose it is a clever, and apparently successful, marketing ploy.

From the point of view of a cynic, it just shows you what truly deep shit this civilization is in...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
what truly deep shit
Hahahahaha! Outhouse cakes!!!! Oh, TSN, you are master of the pun you are!!!!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I noticed that as I was typing, but decided to leave it in.
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of when I was a kid and we'd go visit family out in "the Hills".... [Eek!]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps