Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Something I nearly was in...

Author Topic: Something I nearly was in...
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, I was going to visit the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica to see my old American Eagle manager. I also wanted to see the Farmer's Market since I went to it last year. It was a good thing I didn't go or else I might have been with a head on with a Buick.

Farmer's Market Tradgedy

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking hell... carmageddon...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Police released Weller after questioning him.
I hope they revoked his driver's license.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of those reasons why older drivers should be under higher scrutiny.

Wanna hear something else? An 86 year old woman hit a 42 year old mother with her car. She became trapped underneath the car, and was banging the hood in an effort to get the old woman to stop. Unfortunately, the mother was dragged to death.

The old woman claims she didn't see the mother, and thought the banging and screaming was something wrong with the car itself. In fact, the dead mother only came off as soon as old woman reached her driveway. She drove in her garage, got out, went into the house, not knowing there was a dead woman outside, courtesy of herself.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandfather (90 years old) had his driving priviliges "pulled" by my father and uncle after he ran a stop-sign about a year ago. Luckily he didn't hurt anyone, but it served as a warning that he couldn't safely operate a MV anymore.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Brother-in-law's grand mother was the oldest driver I knew personally. She drove till she died at 98. I don't think she was ever in an accident, but she is the exception to the rule. IIRC, drivers over 70 make up only 2% of drivers in the USA, but account for 14% of accidents.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reaction time is often inversely proportional to judgement with the ageism. This would appear to be a failure of both. Frankly, I'm surprised more people are not demanding his blood. Sure he's old and he got confused, but the man killed 9 people and seriously injured many more.

My good friend lives just a few blocks from the market. She'd been there just an hour before it happened shopping for some nice produce for some film-shoots she's catering this weekend. Terrifying. Horrible.

Two and a half blocks seems like an awfully long time to realize that something is wrong and correct it. Esp. with people being dead on and around your vehicle.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing he had a turn, or a stroke.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"He said he tried to brake and he couldn't stop the vehicle."

I didn't clip enough of it, he said he thought he had his foot on the brake. I did that once, with my foot on the gas, and hit a fence and the corner of a house. No one was hurt, not that much damage to the house and fence, did the car up nice. I was very very lucky. I missed hitting a guy who was locking his car in the next spot. He told me all he saw was a blue streak as I passed.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you keep accelerating, thinking you were braking, for the equivalent of 2.5 blocks, though?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I mean - he could have been having some sort of stroke at the same time and not realised what was going on - only that he though he was trying to break.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

quote:

Did you keep accelerating, thinking you were braking, for the equivalent of 2.5 blocks, though?

Looking back on it all these years later, I think it went something like:

I was coming down the 1500 block of Washington street, the nations longest city block, let off on the gas to let the car slow down, made a left into the parking lot and pulled into the second space. When I pulled my foot off the gas to slow down, I wasn't paying enough attention, I hit the gas instead of the brake as I pulled into the parking lot. I hit the "brake" hard, since I accelerated instead of slowing, like I thought I would. I hit the fence post, splitting the front end of the car into two section, till it hit the engine, then the car went over the now laying flat poll and into the corner of the house. Maybe 50 feet altogether. I never stopped the car, the house did that nicely, and the engine died, then I figured out what had happened. About 4 seconds total. I'll never know if I would have figured it out and stopped soon, but I can't see that going on for two blocks. I think at the worst I would have turned the key off and killed the engine that way. I have had an accelerator stick on me before, but that happened so fast that I didn't realize what I had done till it was over.

I dreaded telling my Dad what had happened, he never spanked me in all of my life, but he was a master at giving me a hard time. When I told him, he got a very starnge look on his face, and told me that he had done the exact same thing that very morning, in an empty parking lot. He said if there had been another car near he would have hit it, but he was in a mall lot, prepareing to walk around the building a few times, and it was very early, before any of the businesses had opened.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps