Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Immortal Class

Author Topic: The Immortal Class
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Only inches from me and from the van's door, he sprinted forward between us, ducking beneath the van's broad side-view mirror to pass me. He was moving like a barracuda, navigating across the ocean floor through sharp rocks and crags without a thought. I tried to imitate his moves, clumsily, apprehensively, desperate to regain my lead. He fought back, ducking around sport cars in adjacent lanes.

We muscled each other neck and neck until he quietly dissapeared behind me, along with the blur of brownstones, storefronts, and construction sites. Even as I started to feel confident, my thighs were heating up like an overworked engine. I was sweating, panting, but I pushed forward, slashing the front tire right and left as I shifted my weight around for extra speed.

I glanced backward to check his position. He was tailing me, smiling. It was cool to be in the lead, but somehow he still had the upper hand. I pushed myself so hard that my breath was narrowed, and my eyes darted with panic through the world of blurring colors and shapes (the truck backing up, the white car rolling out blindly from the right, the red Camaro coming up behind us).

"The Immortal Class: Bike Messengers & The Cult of Human Power" by Travis Hugh Culley, based on his experiences as a bike courier in Chicago. AMAZING READ.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SMOOTH MOVE, EX-LAX
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take out the bike refrences and it reads like a homoerotic short story.

Not my style. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far as I can tell, the only allure of bike messaging is that the application form is shorter than that for jobs at McDonalds. Back in 1990 I had a choice of getting a summer job in London as a bike courier or working at McDonalds. Guess which I took.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never read a homoerotic short story, so I'll take your word for it. Does it read the same as a homoerotic long story?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...because you've read those?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

No, because, logically, if the bit above is similar to a homoerotic short story (minus the bike references), and a homoerotic short story is similar to a homoerotic long story, then if I had read a homoerotic long story I would recognize the style as being similar to that used in a homoerotic short story and not have to inquire as to the style of a homoerotic long story.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tempted to coin a certain colon-related catchphrase, but I have a quota to keep.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP TEH BIKE !!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You get a prize. Of some sort. Go buy a cookie, or something.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps