Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » about Zilla! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: about Zilla!
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, think it rather thin-skinned for people to be deeply offended by such a poorly constructed "joke".

Humor, in very general terms, is a matter of leading people to view things one way, then revealing (or allowing them to discover) a different perspective. How can two complete strangers, posing as lovers, be a joke? We have no way of knowing you weren't lovers, so we accept you at your word. That is no more funny than if I were to post a picture, claiming it was me.

This picture

for example...

And then revealing it wasn't. It isn't a photo of some widely-recognized celebrity like

Elvis Presley

(Thank ya.
Thank ya verra much!)

so how could you possibly understand the joke unless you had special knowledge (the picture is of a scientist who resembles me in the slightest).

Having said that (I tend to take my humor rather seriously), since the joke was poorly conceived and poorly executed, but not motivated by malicious intent, I hereby recommend we tie the perpetrators to the floor, spray them with beef gravy, and sic' the toothless chihuahuas on them. When they're all wrinkly (just like when you've stayed too long in the bath) we'll cut 'em loose and give them stern looks.

That'll larn 'em!

--Baloo

------------------
All the wrong people have a good opinion of themselves.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited July 01, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: You only want us to think that isn't a real picture of you... *LOL*

*listens to the sound of a paradigm shifting w/o a clutch*

------------------
Pierce: "We're back!"
Winchester: "Yes, like a burp from a bad onion..."
-some episode of M*A*S*H that I happened to see

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a joke and a lie are two different things. Clergy tell jokes durings church. Kids pull pranks at church camp, and so do counselors.

------------------
"You can stand me up at the Gates of Hell, but I won't back down."- Tom Petty :-)

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited July 02, 1999).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps