Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » White and shiney, but not much else (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: White and shiney, but not much else
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently borrowing one of my friend's iBook laptops for a few weeks. I still have my Sony Vaio notebook but I needed another portable since my sister is currently the Vaio more than I do. I'm just wondering where are the diagnostic tools in this thing and the location of the system's basic info (Processor speed, graphics chip info, onboard memory count). No, I'm not talking about the equivelant of Window's Control Panel but the Mac equivelant of Window's System Information found in XP.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Running OSX? Under the Apple Menu at Upper Left, select "About This Mac". That'll give you the OS version, processor speed and memory. Click the "More Info" Button to open the Apple System Profiler for detailed bus and volume and software info.

In OS 9 the "About this Macintosh" does the same thing as above, but the Apple System Profiler is a separate menu choice.

Enjoy your borrowed Mac.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Balaam... I just hope my friend doesn't mind me filling his hard drive full of Trek. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want an overabundance of white and shiney, go to an Apple store...

Oy...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"full of Trek..."

...pr0n? B)

[ July 31, 2003, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

No, starship images... I just replaced his generic Apple background with USS Voyager warping out with three shuttles from a large, bright explosion.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White and shiney. I'm glad this didn't turned out to be yet another masturbation thread.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now it has. Good move, kid. B)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I could steer the conversation back to donuts again. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael, I'd recommend checking the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. There are a few tools in there that might help you, depending on what you're looking for. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a glazing joke around here somewhere...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
"full of Trek..."

...pr0n? B)

my God.. it's full of pr0n !!
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I'm trying to find the mac version of Windows Disk Cleanup. Where is it?

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what does Windows Disk Cleanup do, exactly?

If it's general repair stuff, you can probably use the First Aid panel in Disk Utility, one of the programs in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder.

If you're looking to defragment/optimize the hard drive, you'll need one of the third-party applications. I believe the four biggest are Norton Utilities, Drive 10, TechTool Pro, and FWB Hard Disk Toolkit. Any of these is more likely to be located in your /Applications folder (not the /Utilities folder).

Feel free to send me a PM or e-mail if you've got more specific questions... [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Disk Cleanup removes things you temporarily downloaded, temporary internet files, the recycle bin, and other stuff that eat up hard drive space.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps