Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » How to recover a missing partition?

Author Topic: How to recover a missing partition?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you might have guessed from the title I've encounterd a problem or two while trying to install XP on my machine.
While I don't have enough time to go into too much detail tonight, I just wanted to throw out a few feelers to see if anyone know how to recover drive space (about 15GBs) lost when the XP installer deleted a partition on my drive.

I'm also having trouble with my modem and graphics card but I'm pretty sure those are driver issues.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how do you mean "recover"? Do you just want the space, or is there data there that you want to get back?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) open a DOS box or command prompt
2) enter "fdisk /mbr"
3) reboot
4) run fdisk again to re-index your drive

If that doesn't work, try your luck with:

Easy Recovery
www.ontrack.com

Norton Disk Doctor
www.norton.com

File Rescue
www.file-rescue.com

GetDataBack
www.runtime.org

Restorer
www.restorer2000.com

Fast File Undelete
www.dtidata.com

UnDelete
www.quantumsoft.co.uk

File Recover
www.filerecover.com

R-Tools
www.r-tt.com

Lost and Found
www.powerquest.com

File Restore
www.winternals.com

Disk Commander
www.winternals.com

Drive Rescue
http://home.arcor.de/christian_grau/rescue

DFSee
www.fsys.demon.nl

MRecover
http://kristenonline.com/lain/cih/mrecintro.htm

Emergency Undelete
www.c2000.com

UnErase
www.filesearching.com/cgi-bin/s?q=unerase.exe&t=f&d=&l=en&x=11&y=17

Back2Life
www.simtel.net

Hard Drive Mechanic
www.highergroundsoftware.com

Zero Assumption Recovery
www.z-a-recovery.com

Happy hunting. B)

[ August 09, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just the space. I had the foresight to backup my data files before doing a system change so I'm not concerned about loss of data.
The thing is my HD is supposed to be 30GBs, XP insists it's only 15GBs. I can't re-insert my data unless I get that space back.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to sound crazy or anything, but you haven't got a second15 gig hard drive icon appearing in "My Computer", have you?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DOn'T use fdisk, it's not worth the potential trouble.

2k and XP Pro have partition management built right in. Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.

Expand Storage, select Disk Management.

RTFM from there, though you shouldn't have to. Pretty straightforward...

Dunno about XP Home though...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Cheers Charles, that did it. (I have Pro)
All I need to do now is find an XP compatible driver for my modem (for those scratching their heads I've borrowed a laptop for the time being) download the XP drivers for my graphics card and spend the next three days installing all my programs. Fun!

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What graphics card is it? Because, really, who has a card that isn't nVidia, ATI or SIS nowadays, eh? EH?

Also, and again this is crazy sounding, but didn't you run that oh-so-useful "Will XP work with all my hardware" utility?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps