Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Comparing Apples and Apples (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Comparing Apples and Apples
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am forty!

Also, it is okay to have sex with people who aren't children.

Maybe the nerds don't know this.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not forty.
Impossible, I say!

I'd older than Christ at 30 years and three months!
Jeeez...I'm already a third past my guarenteed lifespan (baring Death by Misadventure).
Depressing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.chatterboxchallenge.com/ "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND"
IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really should switch from cryptography to artifical intelligence one of these days...
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

George Harrisons guitar was auctioned off on saturday. The winning bid was $434,750. I Guess the Beatles still have a few fans out there.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
http://www.chatterboxchallenge.com/

That explains a few things.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know they've still got fans -- like I said in my original post, I do enjoy listening to their music if it's on the radio or if my parents play it in the car during our long trips up to New York (or elsewhere).

My issue is, though, just how many people know (or care) that their company's label name is "Apple."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Trademarks are very important in business. The public is easily confused when different organizations have the same name. Bad business practise by one organization then reflects badly on the other and damages their reputation and cuts into their profits. Changing one letter in the name would solve the legal issue. Change the name to "APPLES COMPUTERS"

[ September 16, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cryptography! The NSA crypto museum is high up on my list of places to visit. Not that I have ever visited any place. I cannot even solve the morning jumble, though.
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Read 'The Gold Bug'by Edgar Allen Poe. It will tell you all you need to get started in cryptography. http://www.poedecoder.com/Qrisse/works/goldbug.html
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will tell you all you need to get started in cryptography.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, wow!

Cryptography is dependant upon numbers. One early people who used numbers were the Mayans. A good way to learn about the Mayans is to go to Guatemala.

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

When you mentioned the morning jumble I thought you meant the Newspaper Cryptograms that are based on letter substitution codes. Thats what 'The Gold Bug' deals with. The principles are probably similar to the Number puzzles that I guess you meant. Poe went to West Point. He dropped out but I guess he learned a little about decoding Cryptograms there. The story is very interesting. All Poe's stories are. http://www.planetmike.com/crypto/

[ September 18, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there's a very obscure British comic that featurerd these little creatures that spoke in a language represented by made-up letter characters. But it was just transposed, so if you worked out what each letter's analogue was you could understand what they were saying. So, I used thr system as described in "The Gold Bug" and it worked perfectly!

Turned out there's one frame I missed in which a charcter reads out a sight-test card in English and one of the LHCs (they were called "Little Happy Creatures") does the same, providing a rosetta stone. But my way was much cleverer. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps