Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Maya "Personal Learning Edition" software released for free...

Author Topic: Maya "Personal Learning Edition" software released for free...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alias Systems' Maya software is a 3D graphics program that's gained popularity over the past couple years. A "Personal Learning Edition" with most of the full version's features is being made available for free download. Here's an article and the download site. It's a 129MB download, but I'm a little short on hard drive space now, so I haven't installed it to see how big it is.

BTW, you hsve to give them a real e-mail address, because they e-mail you the software key to install it. You can lie about all the other information they ask for, though.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As was mentioned on the Slashdot article that you probably first noticed this at, the Maya PLE has been out for quite a while. I remember taking a look at it myself about a year ago (give or take a few months) and being disappointed to learn that they don't support their software on the old G3 processors.

(Not that I have time to learn how to do 3D modeling, anyway...) [Roll Eyes] [Frown]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read Slashdot in a long time. Someone sent me a link to the article I linked to here.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
129MB at snails pace = never getting it....

kind of like women right now....

My life is a lemon and I do want my money back....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now if only I could get me mitts on some Lightwave...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have DSL, yes?

MM: if you're serious about getting into da 3D hood, grab a copy of Milkshape (you'll need an emulator, but what the hey). It's a lightweight modeler that can't do much except, well, model, but it's a great springboard for newcomers - easy to learn & easy to master. Think of Milkshape as a pair of training wheels and Lightwave & Co as a REALLY kickass bike that's just screaming to be ridden. B)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also Wings 3D for your basic polygon editing needs, and Blender, a freeware modeler with a really weird interface.

But having tried everything from Lightwave to Blender, I have come to the conclusion that I utterly and hopelessly suck at 3D.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not alone.....

Nothing ever looks quite right to me, or how my minds eye see's it...... Gimme a stick, poke out the minds eye and everything will look right....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps